So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Gopher

Lamb, carrots, runner beans, peas, marrow, stuffing, roast potatoes and gravy (and mint sauce). And afterwards a dish of stewed apples.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

You must be an amazing cook!  I find when cooking for one I lack inspiration.  After all, I smell it while it's cooking, and by the time it's done my appetite has diminished, but I still have the clean-up.  What I need is a loyal servant to take care of these details for me.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

By no means amazing - you'll have to come over and see! However as I have taken today off I decided to treat myself to something a bit more special than usual. By the way, do you also use mint sauce - I find it even better on roast potatoes than its traditional use as an accompaniment for lamb.

kitten

I never cook lamb, but I wonder if it would go well with pork or even turkey.

Gopher

As far as I'm concerned it goes well with everything, but especially roast or boiled potatoes. It's easy to make too, just chop up the mint and add sugar and vinegar.  

kitten

All I've seen is mint jelly in the stores.  Does it gel with the sugar?

Gopher

No, it's a lot nicer ungelled.

kitten

Do you whip it together to homogenize it, or is it a thin sauce with the leaves visible in it?

Gopher

I've just looked up a recipe for it and it tells me that after all these years I should have been using hot water!! You chop up the leaves very very finely and let them float (but if they are OBVIOUSLY floating, then you're not using enough mint). The more mint you put in it, the better.  

kitten

I had assumed you were using hot water to draw out the most flavour from the mint.  Sounds sort of chewy to me, but I guess it's supposed to, right?

Gopher

Try it and see! In the meantime Sportsdude's just arrived, I wonder what HE'S having for lunch today?

kitten

I have mint in the garden, but it is spearmint, not peppermint.  Don't think that would work so well.  My cat likes it, but then it is related to catnip.

Sportsdude

I baked a frozen pizza then promptly ate it.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Frozen pizza?! Yeow. I don't like frozen pizza - prefer mine to come from Pizza Hut otherwise I won't touch pizza. My palate that's picky.

Tonight's whole wheat spagettie and meat sauce. Next week will be extra delicious because mum and dad's coming over! YAY!!! Home-cooked meals for a change.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Awesome Lise. Yeah frozen pizza. eh, so so.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|