So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

Really? Ive never heard this before.. is there anything behind this or is it just something that you always did/ heard of?

Yup.....it's true.    There is 'scientific' back-up for this.....I just don't know what it is.  But logically....most 'tender' veggies, would be overcooked if started in cold water and then brought to a boil.  I learned it from one of my very first cook books when I was a youngun.

Actually, I forgot to add the main point for that little blurb, which was in tune with Lil Me's comment about starting with cold water for her tea.  The same rule applies......start with cold water.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

Add:  I also heard it again many years later from watching Good Eats.  Great cooking show, that is more about the science of cooking than it is a recipe type of cooking show.  Alton Brown does a great job on this program.....he's quite funny.  For example, he'll do a show on the potato.....then go through which type of potato is best for baking, boiling, frying, potato salad etc......and he explains why.

Lil Me

Hmmmm.  Thanks for the info, P.C.  Makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Michel

P.C.

I like the names of some of the programs that Alton does......like 'Give Peas a Chance'.  lol

I also like his approach to cooking, because he teaches about food, not about recipes. (if that makes any sense)...although he includes that as well.  But the recipes make more sense, when you learn why you are using a specific cooking method.    

Michel

Michel

P.C.

We shall call you The Path Seeker.

Here's a couple more Alton shows .....This Spud's for You    

Ocean edibles : Mussel bound—Send in the clams

Ocean edibles #2 : Crustacean nation.

Pork fiction

Ham I Am

Fry Hard 2

Morning Munchables. Crepe expectations—Waffle truth—House of the rising bun.

Flour power : The dough also rises—Puff the magic pastry—

Churn baby churn.

Far East Fare : Wake up little sushi—Wanton ways—Your pad Thai or mine.

Pantry raid 2

*I couldn't resist putting some of these in here.    

Michel

P.C.

Mimi the Path Seeker, I like it, but it sound less virile than my old Ottawa Mike

OK.....how about.....The Hard Path Seeker.  

Michel

P.C.

Too funny.

Puff T M D..........Peter Paul and Mary ?

I must get out to the garden soon.

Michel

P.C.

Catch ya later .....I'm going to get some vitamin D. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a035.gif" border=0]

|