|

Sportsdude

read more of my book. fascinating.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Good Behaviour - Molly Keane
A fool's paradise is better than none.

PostMonkee @(^_^)@

Teacher Man by Frank McCourt (the Angela's Ashes guy).

So far it's amazing and unlike Angela's Ashes won't leave you looking for a sharp thing to cut yourself with.

Also the Dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore.

If you enjoy fantasy it's an amazing display of character development and world-building.

It's also great if you like to read about angry elf chicks whipping subservient men until they bleed.
Jesus, bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing - intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out. The weasels were closing in. I could smell the ugly brutes. Flee.

kitten

If it has angry elf chicks I've got to read this one!  Just kidding, but it seems interesting.  I'll look for it at the library.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

PostMonkee @(^_^)@

It raises some interesting questions, Miss K, about what would happen if an entire society was based upon what we would consider to be "evil", and in such a setting what would be considered deviant and obscene.  
Jesus, bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing - intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out. The weasels were closing in. I could smell the ugly brutes. Flee.

Sportsdude

still reading my book. Trying to find another urban planning book to read after I finish my first one. I like the authors of the first book, they're sort of activists that are shaking up the building community. They've got their own organization and everything. But the book mainly deals with suburbs, I need a city book now.  

Gopher

The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

PostMonkee @(^_^)@

^^^^ what's it about?

Gopher

Oh that's a hard one. It's a mystery, but very different to any other which I have read. Concerns someone who selects a book from the cemetary of forgotten books. Other people become interesting in acquiring it from him - mainly they are doppelgangers of the characters in books. I've not read all that far yet, but it looks as though fiction and reality are going to blend.  

PostMonkee @(^_^)@

Waow.

So it's fantasy? Sounds very strange and wonderful.

What made you choose it?

Gopher

Someone gave it to me and I vaguely recalled hearing about it a few months ago (in glowing terms).

Sportsdude

I can't decide on which book about Vancouver urbanism to buy.

This one:
[b class="sans"]Dream City: Vancouver and the Global Imagination
[/b][span class="sans"][a href="http://www.amazon.com/Dream-City-Vancouver-Global-Imagination/dp/1553651030/ref=sr_1_1/105-8065872-6743615?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181299398&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Dream-City-Vancouver-Global-Imagination/dp/1553651030/ref=sr_1_1/105-8065872-6743615?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181299398&sr=8-1[/a]

or this one:

[/span][b class="sans"]The Vancouver Achievement: Urban Planning and Design
[/b][span class="sans"][a href="http://www.amazon.com/Vancouver-Achievement-Urban-Planning-Design/dp/0774809728/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/105-8065872-6743615?ie=UTF8&qid=1181299398&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Vancouver-Achievement-Urban-Planning-Design/dp/0774809728/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/105-8065872-6743615?ie=UTF8&qid=1181299398&sr=8-1[/a][/span][b class="sans"]
[/b]
personally I think I'm going with the second one because the Dream City book is more like a novel, you can read excerpts from it.

Lil Me

Lost Girls and Love Hotels by Catherine Hanrahan  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Firestarter - Stephen King  

Lil Me

Ooooh!  How is it?  I haven't read Stephen King for ages.  I used to stay up all night in HS and read Stephen King because I was too scared to sleep!  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|