The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lil Me

Definately gives me a greater understanding of what we came from.

I'm re-thinking my desire to learn "proper" Cantonese (HK style).  The family speaks a funny "village dialect" from circa 1900.  I'm thinking that maybe I should learn to PROUDLY speak the old village way.  Because that's our language, even though the larger population in Vancouver makes fun of it.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

Amazing photo, Michel.
 My parents have friends who were sent to internment camps as children during WWII (same generation of Japanese-Canadians as David Suzuki).
  It's unbelievable.

I didn't know about the black right to vote in 1960.  *files trivia away for later use*

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I didn't know that either Lil Me.  It would be less shocking, but no less horrible, if that was 1860.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

Blacks were not even allowed to vote here before 1960 according to David Suzuki.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that's accurate.  

Michel

P.C.

It might be in his autobiography, but I still don't think it's accurate.  I'm a little confused.  Saltspring had a large population of blacks in the mid 1800's.....and as land owners, they were allowed to vote.      

P.C.

I should add, that history is definitely not my forte.

|