So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Russ

Thanks for the Reply Lise!

We actually had it last night. I do see what you mean by the little pouches marked with the hotpot sign/symbol, that saved me otherwise I would have wandered in circles. As it was I over bought big time cause I didnt know what I needed, and bought stuff that wasnt meant for hotpot, like those tarot root buns or whatever they are. I actually bought the mixed veggies and seafood containers after looking through the isles labelled for hotpot. To be honest I pretty much bought everything with a hotpot symbol on it then let my girlfriend tell me if I did right or was an idiot.

What I meant by the hot side, was in the hotpots I ate at in China and in Richmond there was two sections to the bowl, one was the red spicy side and the other was jsut regular broth. But I did get one of every hot pot seasoning package there was there, so I had all bases covered. I thought the peanuty tasting sauce was peanuts! But it turns out to be seasome seed extract or something like that.

I bought a bunch of the thinly sliced meat, and I also bought a bunch of chicken breasts and shredded that. I also discovered that the hot pepper seasoning really is hot (hotter than the stuff I had in China) and you dont absolutely cover the food with it.

Im going to buy one of those cool propane burner things for the pot. We used an electric pot type thing, and it didnt seem to have the same heat or ambience to me.

I must admit though, I dislike the balls of meat that you drop in. I dont know, I just didnt like them.

Thanks again!

Russ
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Russ! So funny hearing you buy taro root buns for hotpot! And wandering around buying those specially marked hotpot symbol.

Those things that are marked with the symbol.... well, they're kinda expensive for the selection plus you're not really sure how long they've been sitting there. Better off just buying individual items. Still, they're great if you don't really know how to go about doing a hotpot plus they're good if you're on a time budget.

Now that you know what to do, you should have no problems going about making one in future.

I forgot to say: add tofu fish cakes.They can be purchased at the fish ball aisle. They're really nice and soft - I have just discovered them and thought they taste awesome.

Another great addition is soft sikly tofu, it's white and comes in a tight 'tube' like packet. Just slice them into pieces and dip in for a few seconds. Don't stir too much or they break apart but once you eat them, it's like heaven. Yummy!

As for the hotpot propane tank, be careful! A friend of mine inserted the thing upside down (don't ask) and managed to burn a small hole into the table at her place. Hehe. Anyways, always make sure you have at least TWO propane gas as you don't wanna run out of gas in the middle of your hotpot.

Check out the Crystal Mall. They usually have cheaper kit (comes with propane gas) and the special looking pot (two sides for different broth) cheaper than T & T.

And yeah, I know what you  mean about the electric wok but it's easier for me as I have kids I have to watch.

Fish Tofu looks like this:

Silken tofu:

[A href="http://www.asiaexpressfood.nl/products/en/170/"]http://www.asiaexpressfood.nl/products/en/170/[/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

fried tofu = yum.

but pretty much anything fried is yum.

P.C.

I understand you can get deep fried Coca Cola.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

[img id=image337 alt=fried-coke.jpg src="http://dethroner.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/fried-coke.jpg" align=right]According to my rigorous three-seconds of Googling, the story of deep-fried Coca-Cola first leaked out of the dripping fry baskets of the Texas State Fair about a month ago, but this is the first that time I've actually seen a picture of the frightening concoction, made from:
 [BLOCKQUOTE]...Coca-Cola-flavored batter. He then drizzles Coke fountain syrup on it. The fried Coke is topped with whipped cream, cinnamon sugar and a cherry. Gonzales said the fried Coke came about just from thinking aloud.[/BLOCKQUOTE]

P.C.

(that wasn't actually MY 3 seconds of Googling)

Lise

OMG. No way! And of course, it had to come from good old Texas.

The closest weird fried food I've come across is deep fried ice cream. Doubly yummy.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

i know they have deep fried mars bars down south somewhere.

while we are on unhealthy foods, how about that krispy kreme burger coming in at a whopping 1000 calories...

[A href="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/03/broadcasts/main1680067.shtml"]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/03/broadcasts/main1680067.shtml[/A]

Gopher

Fish and chips.

Kingy: deep friend Mars bars are big in Scotland too.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

When I was in China I had something I havent heard or seen since.

Coca Cola chicken wings. I kid you not. Everyone over there seems to be able to make it. We used to bribe the front desk girls at the hotel we were at with stuff or taking them out for dinners to get them to make a bunch for us.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

I had left over pizza, after I went to vote.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

1,000 calories for a stupid donut?!?! Ah no way. Not surprise as it comes from Krispy Kreame and they're known for making everything sweet and sinful.

Oh wow. I would love to try the deep fried mars bars and Coca Cola deep fried wings. Just once. Just to say I've tried them.

And since kingy brought it up, thought you might find this interesting about McDonald's food/calorie contents. It's enough to give you a heart attack.

[TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 height=46 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="60%" height=31] [P style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" align=left]Table of Mcdonald's calories list

[/TD] [TD width="26%" height=31] [P style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" align=center][A href="http://www.weightlossforall.com/weight-loss-plateau.htm"][FONT size=2]Find out here if your [/FONT][/A]

[P style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" align=center][A href="http://www.weightlossforall.com/weight-loss-plateau.htm"][FONT size=2][SPAN lang=en-us]weight [/SPAN]loss has [SPAN lang=en-us]slowed[/SPAN].[/FONT][/A]

[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

[TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 height=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD width="14%" bgColor=#0080ff height=1] [/TD] [TD vAlign=top align=middle width="61%" bgColor=#ffffff height=1] [TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 height=418 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" bgColor=#00ffff border=2] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" bgColor=#000080 height=19] [P align=center][FONT color=#ffffff]Food item[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" bgColor=#000080 height=19][FONT color=#ffffff]Calories[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" bgColor=#000080 height=19][FONT color=#ffffff]Fat[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" bgColor=#000080 height=19][FONT color=#ffffff]Carbohydrate[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" bgColor=#000080 height=19][FONT color=#ffffff]Protein[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Cheese Burger[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]295[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]11[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]31.1[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]14.7[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Double Cheese Burger[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]421[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]21[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]34[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]26[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]The Big Mac[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]485[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]21.5[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]42.5[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]27[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Chicken Nuggets ( 1 )[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]40[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]2.4[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]1.9[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]3.1[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=18] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Ham Burger[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=18][FONT size=2]249[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=18][FONT size=2]7.5[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=18][FONT size=2]33[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=18][FONT size=2]13.5[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Chicken Sandwich[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]370[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]17[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]37[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]17[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Quarter Pound + Cheese[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]500[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]26[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]38[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]30[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Fish Burger[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]370[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]17[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]41[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]17[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Bacon Double + Cheese[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]475[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]24[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]34[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]28[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Big Breakfast[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]578[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]36[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]40[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]26[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Large Fries[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]400[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]17.5[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]57[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]6[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Hash Brown ( 1 )[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]134[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]75[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]16[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]1.5[/FONT][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle width="35%" height=19] [P align=center][FONT size=2]Milkshake[/FONT]

[/TD] [TD align=middle width="16%" height=19][FONT size=2]380[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="12%" height=19][FONT size=2]9[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="22%" height=19][FONT size=2]68[/FONT][/TD] [TD align=middle width="17%" height=19][FONT size=2]11[/FONT][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [P align=left][FONT size=2]Above table lists the fat and calories in mcdonald's fast food. The values are estimated based on each products main ingredients and the estimated quantity. Actual values may be slightly different.[/FONT]

[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

[A href="http://www.weightlossforall.com/mcdonalds-calories-list.htm"]http://www.weightlossforall.com/mcdonalds-calories-list.htm[/A]  
Bill Cosby.

Lise

Lotsa ppl at the voting venue today, SD?
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Yeah, so far. I waited an hour to vote and my conservative friend went against his family and voted all democrat and I don't think he's an exception. There's a lot of anti republican going around.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Hmmm.... wonder if I'll get a chance to vote too? Been so busy lately. I know it's not an excuse though.

Am a bit ignorant about the voting going down there in the south. What's it about?
Bill Cosby.

|