So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

what is congee? sounds interesting. I want to learn how to cook asian food since I've mastered the fine art of mexican cusine. lol
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kingy

chicken fried rice today for me.

congee (jook) is basically rice soup. it is pretty easy to make, just rice and water and let simmer for about an hour. you can add your favourite stuff in like chicken, beef etc...

traditionally, you top them off with chinese donuts.

Lise

Yep, exactly what kingy said. Bad for diabetes though, too much starch.

I do love the Chinese donut that go with my congee. Simply divine. My favorite congee mix is usually one with fish fillets and century egg.

For the best donut (fresh and cheap), I usually head over to the Crystal Mall and buy a stick. Then just before eating, I pop them into toaster oven for a few minutes so they become crispy and lovely.

[img height=462 src="http://webpages.csus.edu/~sac68222/images/congee.jpg" width=578]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

This lovely picture of congee and chinese doughnut is making me hungry...

I haven't had those doughnuts in a long time.  Ok, gotta get some soon!

Anyways, just wanted to say HI to everyone.

Oh, and if any one of you know someone who is renting out a 2 bedroom basement suite and is close to skytrain in the Burnaby area, please let me know.

Russ

You are on your own with congee Im sorry to say, I dont like the stuff. Well thats not true really, theres one that I did like but I havent been able to find it here, and I dont know what it was lol.

purelife, look around the edmonds area in bby. I helped move my buddy into a one bed and den appartment there, he bought it, but on the street alone he was on there was apartments for rent in three of the buildings. I dont know if they were two bed however. He was ten minutes walk away from the skytrain station.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

I'll keep an eye out for you, purelife. Have you tried looking into the Burnaby Now newspaper? Sometimes they have basement suites for rent.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Thanks Russ and Lise.  I thought to ask friends from DS first.  I prefer a referral over an ad anyday.  With ads, it's always a first come first serve.  Through referrals, it's always that much cheaper and that much more flexible in terms of move-in date.  

We're looking to move out at the beginning of the new year.  I totally forgot about the Burnaby Now.  I will for sure check into that as well as Craigslist.  Oh, I also heard the Sing Tao and Ming Pao, chinese newspapers are always an option too.  I just have to find someone who can read chinese.  :)  Lise...?  hee hee...

Ok, we'll try checking out Edmonds area for suites.  We haven't really put much work into this because of limited time, but when we do, I'm taking some time off of work to scope around the preferred skytrain areas for availabilities.

Sportsdude

cool purelife! I love moving. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Lise

Sorry, my darlin'... no can read Chinese. Wish I was able to, though.

Oh, I forgot, there's a board at the Save-On Metrotown, right next to the lottery counter. Might be something there.  
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Oh cool Lise.  You also reminded me of the bullentin board that is at that library by Metrotown.  I'll check those out the next time I'm in the neighborhood.  Thanks :)

Thanks SD.  I'm sure we'll find something.  I can't wait to junk out the furniture we already have... they're all crap, btw.....      

Russ

My girlfriend can read chinese purelife, what papers are you talking about?

I called and left a message on my buddies cell phone to see if he knows any of the places around him. I told him it gives him something to do on his way home instead of singing to himself (he had his radio in his car stolen before he moved).  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

lol yeah I know I had to help a friend move into an apartment once and all they had was crap furniture. I was like 'why don't you guys just buy new stuff'. lol  

Lise

You can get those free Chinese newspapers outside the Crystal Mall. In the yellow boxes.... they're also available near the elevator on the ground floor.

I have too much crap at our place. I think the bigger place you move in, the more you accumulated. I've always liked IKEA and they way they organized your crap. Hehe. Too bad about the quality of their furniture.....
Bill Cosby.

purelife

OMG, THANKS RUSS for calling your friend.  The papers are Sing Tao and Ming Pao.  (I think)  I'll buy them when time comes and just scan and post them up here?  

Lise

Found this on craigslist.

[H2]$750 / 2br - 2 Bedroom Basement[/H2]
Reply to: [A href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=$750%20/%202br%20-%202%20Bedroom%20Basement"][email protected][/A]
Date: 2006-11-09, 2:22PM PST

Clean 2 bedroom suite available in Burnaby. Canada Way and 12th Avenue. On bus route and close to shopping. $750.00 per month includes cable, heat and light. Gas fireplace in suite. No laundry available. Must have current and past references. Non-smoking and no pets. Please call Andrew at 604-762-1032. Viewings are Tues-Fri after 6pm. Sundays by appointment.

Canada Way at 12th Avenue
Bill Cosby.

|