So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lise

Sportsdude wrote:
Hmmm, We always have chicken.

But crock pot have you ever cooked out of that? Its easy. In the morning you put all the stuff you want in the cooker and it cooks for 12 hours. You don't have to do anything. And when its done. You eat. Very simple. I'd recomend getting a crock pot and using one you don't have to worry about dinner then a lot.[/DIV]
   Hey SD,

Sorry, I had to leave without saying goodbye. Duty calls.

I'm thinking of getting a crock pot... I really should. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm just a bit worried about leaving something like that alone while I'm off to work. Maybe I'll just get one and try it out anyways since I'm at home.

And hello and goodbye to Chicklet. Miss ya sweetie-pie.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

RIGHT IS GOOD!

You guys are all twats and need to get a life!  

Sportsdude

Yes you should get a crock pot. They are a life saver. Yeah the whole its on while your gone is going to scare people but we've managed. Yeah since you'll be home for a while they will definately help out. So easy. Just get up in the morning put the things you want for dinner in there and cook. plus it makes the house smell good all day.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Crock pot meat has a tendancy to be a little slimy in texture if you don't brown it in a frying pan first.  That's what gives it flavour.

I always dredge, season and brown it before I freeze it in meal size portions.  I deglaze the pan with a little wine or broth, and dump that in the freezer bag as well.  (Makes richer gravy too).  That way, starting from frozen, it can sit in the crockpot for a few hours thawing, before the timer starts.  It's safer than having thawed meat sitting at room temp for 3 or 4 hours.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Just cooling down before the party  really begins, greatly helped by (in this order) champagne, white wine and red wine - hic.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lise

PC - what is dredge?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

To coat in flour.  Sorry Lise.

I usually do that to a meat I want a gravy or sauce from, (like beef short ribs).  It helps to brown the meat and seal in the juices at the same time.  I usually put a couple of BIG tablespoons of flour, seasonings and a bit of chopped parsley (or whatever you fancy) in a plastic bag....scrooch up the top of the bag (like a balloon)....shake up the 'mix'.....add the meat, and do the same thing again.  Slick, simple and yummy.

Lise

Interesting. I have never attempted that before but I'll certainly bear that in mind when I get my crock pot. Was just browsing thru Sears today, saw one I liked so I'm gonna go back and get one.

Thanks for the tip, PC.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

You're VERY welcome Lise.  I remember using mine much more when my kids were little, because you couldn't always pick and choose when, or how much time you were going to have to prepare dinner.  It allowed you to use the time when baby was napping to get something happening.  They're not the answer to fine dining for sure, but they certainly serve a purpose now and then.

kitten

The only problem I ever had with a crockpot was with the veggies getting too soft if I cooked a full meal in one.  For meat alone they were wonderful.  My favourite was Swiss steak.  I'd serve it with salad and a baked potato.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

P.C.

No crockpot veggies for me.  YUCK.  Veggie dishes take only moments, one can always find time for that.

kitten

Slow-cooked ribs are good.  The meat falls off the bones by the end of the day.  Cooked in a barbeque sauce they are delicious.  (Home-made, of course!)
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

We found a crock pot cook book. Some 3,000 recipes. Slow cooking bbq chicken or chicken in general. It comes out like my grandma's hungarian chicken, falls right off the bone. yum yum.

Lise

No veggies in the crock pot? Can I use potatoes instead?
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I like veggies in crock pot. Potatoes work great. All veggies in crock pot come out sauteed. Which I always liked.

|