So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

purelife

Good morning everyone. :))

Sportsdude

morning!

starting to see the mountains again. albeit barely.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sawdust

Lise wrote:

OMG. Am I crazy??? I just got a call from my boss to say that they couldn't find me a part-time position because I had asked them to find me one. Then I called back to say, hey, is that job still available because I'll come back to full time.

HI Lise, I don't know the full story, but if you were off on Mat leave, your employer must keep your position open for you. Also they can not materialy change your job description on your return without the consent of both parties. That said, an experienced CDA would have no trouble finding a new/better job.  
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

purelife

Hm, speaking of mat leaves and returning, I was told that you may not be guaranteed the same position but that they have to find you something in the company that is the same sort of job description, or better.  HR told me this.  But, they have to pay you the same.  

Sportsdude

from my experience in the states and from what I've seen. If you're not in a union you end up getting laid off or demoted. lol  

P.C.

Hm, speaking of mat leaves and returning, I was told that you may not be guaranteed the same position but that they have to find you something in the company that is the same sort of job description, or better.  HR told me this.  But, they have to pay you the same.

Hubby says that's close to the same thing.  A sideways move is acceptable, but you can't be 'demoted'.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

The employer can demote in teh states?  For real?  That doesn't sound right.  

P.C.

from my experience in the states and from what I've seen. If you're not in a union you end up getting laid off or demoted. lol  

Well, that's why we have Labour Relations here.  Perhaps that's why you feel so strongly about unions.  Here, the law takes care of what they used to, which is probably why you hear so many say they are obsolete.  

Sportsdude

ah we don't have that lol.

Yeah. I've known 4 people who have been 'demoted' because of mat leave and you always here about the teacher at a private catholic/religious school getting pregnant and then promptly fired because she's single. Yet the male teacher can have tons of kids and nobody gives.

You have no 'security blanket' in the states. You're out on your own and if the liberatarian part of the republican party took over it would be even more like that. We'd have no IRS, no postal service, no medicare medicad.

You live in a welfare state where the government cares about the people. US mentality is a 'going alone I don't need help'.

It doesn't work.

P.C.

Actually SD....Mat leave is not the same in all states.  Since 2000 (?) the Department of Labour ruled that states can use unemployment benefits so that more states can provide paid leave.

Sportsdude

but its by a state by state basis. If you're in a 'blue state' its much more like Canada. If your in a predominantly right wing red state you won't get as much.

Benefits are like night and day if you lived on the other side of the river in Illinois instead of Missouri.

P.C.

This is also from American Labour Laws......Your employer is required to reinstate you with the same pay at your same job or to a position equivalent to your old job, once you return from maternity leave. This means that the position must have the same pay, duties, geographical location, hours, working conditions, benefits and opportunities for advancements.

Sportsdude

hmmm maybe but I've known people who get their job back but then end up getting replaced and having to go a different direction.

But its by a state by state basis.
For example I was at a party everyone had a tatoo here and was talking about getting one.
The Bush administration has vetoed and struck down laws that make discrimination like that legal.
Another example was recently the democratic house and senate is passing laws that make discrimination against gays and lesbians illegal. Bush is going to veto it.

P.C.

For example I was at a party everyone had a tatoo here and was talking about getting one.
The Bush administration has vetoed and struck down laws that make discrimination like that legal.

Huh ?  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c028.gif" border=0]  

purelife

So, uhm, how was everyone's lunch or thinking about what to have for lunch?

I had french toast with o.j. and a slice of havarti cheese.  yummy

|