The Ebony Lounge

Started by P.C., Mar 27 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Future Canadian

PC your cat stalking a deer pic reminded me of this from our local paper many years back. A copy of this was on our fridge for a long time.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Future Canadian

...and it's off to bed so, Hi/Bye everyone!  
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

P.C.

Hi FC....sorry I missed you last night.  How goes it?

You've obviously been a busy boy!  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

woohoo my hometown team won the world series. cool.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I saw that Sportsdude......there was some nasty errors by the pitchers on the other team.  Sheesh......rookies!

Future Canadian

Hey PC! Things are alright, you know, living the dream and all that. Since the kids are back in school life has become much busier, which gives me only about a half an hour of computer time a day.
I love your yard pics btw. Gorgeous! One of the things occupying my time has been The Great Yard Assault '06. A season of apathy and neglect has left me with a stupidly huge amount of work to do. Funny, I love a garden but I hate gardening (unless I'm feeling rastafarian, that makes it kinda fun, but I can't do that with teh kids around). We also now have to remove a GIANT old oak tree from our front yard. So I think the whole front is going to get a yard makeover to go along with it so it doesn't look so awful.

Sportsdude

How did everyone's weekend go?

I took the family driving to the country side took the wrong turn and discovered this cool little apple orchard out in rural missouri. Cool place.

[A href="http://www.thierbachorchards.com/index.html"]http://www.thierbachorchards.com/index.html[/A]

P.C.

I hear you on the yard assault, FC.  I'm doing the same at my place.  The difference is, I'm trying to keep a forest tidy....lol.  Everyone thinks I've got it made, having no lawn, but if they knew how much work it was just to keep it tiddly in a 'natural' kind of way. (not that I'm complaining.....I LOVE yard work.

Hi Sportsdude....how are things with you this eve.  We've had quite the wind storm here, although I'm sure it pales to what you're used to.  Our poor neighbours next door, are still out there in the dark with a crew trying to cut away at a 300 year old cedar that is now firmly embedded through the middle of their house.  What a mess.  Poor hubby heard (and felt) it coming down this afternoon, and thought it was closer than it was.  Such a racket when a tree that size falls.  

Sportsdude

wow P.C. sounds like you need help. Wish I could help but alas I'm 4,000 miles away.

Going to these orchards reminds me of this vancouver couple who got the idea of the '100 mile' diet thing. I think I could pull it off, just have to find places that sell local meats and I'm set.

[A href="http://100milediet.org/home/"]http://100milediet.org/home/[/A]

P.C.

What an interesting concept.  Haven't scoped out the whole sight yet, but I will.

I don't care where the food comes from.  Give me a quality product at a reasonable price and I'm all over it.  Of course I would prefer to shop locally for everything, but if they can't offer me the quality and a competitive price, I'll look elsewhere.

Not just food.  I buy my cardstock across border.  A pack of linen card stock at the Paper Zone (in the States), costs me $15.99......the same product (same brand even) costs me $78.00 here.  Sorry.....no contest.  

Sportsdude

Usually the local stuff around here is cheaper (go figure, lol). You can't buy in bulk though like the big stores but the over excess of product sizes leads to obesity in my opinion. Plus I'd rather give my money to local farmers who work hard since I know how hard it is to work and up keep a farm then the giant box stores.

P.C.

We have a lot of local farmers markets, that I prefer to get my fruit and veggies from.  Always great quality and good prices.  Sometimes even my favourite grocery stores' produce doesn't consistantly offer the best,  And sometimes their prices are outrageous.  Hubby bought a tomato the other day ....ONE TOMATO.....$2.08. (just because I was craving a super salad)  I wouldn't have paid that in a million years. (bless his lil buttons)      

Sportsdude

Yeah and the farther out I go the little orchard markets seem to get a lot cheaper. For example I could have gotten I think a pound of green beans (right off the plant) for a dollar a pound. Then they had sweet potatoes that were the size of an adult shoe there, never seen them so big.

P.C.

Mmmmm....fresh green beans.  Yum. Boiled or steamed al dente and then tossed around in garlic and butter......THE BEST.  Not big on the the sweet potatoes.......*ralph*

Well, like I say, shopping locally is my first choice.......but not my only choice.  2 bucks for a tomato....gimme a break !!!!!

Sportsdude

yeah prices are getting crazy. Now with gas prices high milk and bread have gone higher. I don't live in Wisconsin or California so don't know where to find 'fresh milk'.

|