So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

I could never have a Hyundai, because I can't stand even saying Hyundai.      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

but you live in a rural area and like you said it was your choice. Its not realistic to expect more mobility options in a rural area. One of the main reasons people move to the rural area is just that, to get away.

[/DIV]
Oh don't get me wrong.....I'm NOT complaining and I have no expectations.  That's kind of my point.  And if I was smack in the middle of the city, and I didn't have everything I wanted, that would be my choice as well.  It's like people who buy a house next to the airport and then complain about the noise.  They have the right to complain, but they also have the right to live somewhere else.    

49er

Sportsdude wrote:
 Restrictions of any kind is oppression. To restrict is to oppress. I feel liberated here in Vancouver over public transit. I can wherever I want, have the freedom to take a bus, where ever I am. This might sound silly, but where I grew up there were no buses, they weren't allowed to come into my region or if they did, it was once or twice a day.  
Another form of freedom you enjoy and take for granted in Vancouver is your city's layout.
[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"]I grew up in a place that oppressed the individual if you didn't have a car. It took you 20mins to walk out of my sprawl neighbourhood, which led to a street that was dedicated to more neighbourhoods. An hour later you finally were able to reach some sort of retail. If you didn't have a car, you couldn't go anywhere and you became trapped in your own home, a prison. That is the oppression of freedom of movement.
[/FONT]
There are many oppressions in the world, but I believe oppression it is not just related to the political realm.  

Blame your parents for moving into the subburbs and not the country

49er

I bought an Acura MDX earlier this year.......great car!

P.C.

Blame your parents for moving into the subburbs and not the country

Ahhhhhhh.....exhale.  The voice of reason.[/DIV]

Sportsdude

But I'm not talking about people living next to an airport. Airports are like highways, you can't get rid of them, they chose to live there or the airport chose to move there, like you said.

I'm talking about mobility options. In my hometown you had one option and that was the car, taxi, carpool, with the last two options never used. Here in Vancouver depending on where you are living you have the train (westcoast), a ferry (seabus), car, walk, bus, bike, skytrain, taxi

1 option with 2 small unrealistic options never used
to
7 options of movement.

Vancouver is a more mobile, less unrestricted city and region than where I grew up. That is what I'm saying. In terms of mobility, Vancouver is not oppressed. And they're working on to make the area even more mobile. Canada Line, a line to UBC eventually, a line to PoCo, eventually they'll expand Expo to Langley. I'll probably see a line from Surrey Central to White Rock in my lifetime due to population growth and I'll see some sort of skytrain like vehicle on the North Shore and trolleys will make their return to Downtown Vancouver.

What does St. Louis have? highways to help their only one option of mobility cars. If you don't have a car, you are stuck out of luck and oppressed by your own surroundings of being a car dominated society.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

49er

Waiting for Sarah Palin to be on SNL tonight

P.C.

But I'm not talking about people living next to an airport.

That was an analogy.

"There can be no really pervasive system of oppression . . . without the consent of the oppressed"  

P.C.

lol 49er.  That should be good.  I think that's probably a more suitable calling for her.

Sportsdude

One republican strategist said on TV a couple nights ago that he thought she was a hooker (without knowing it was her) when they met once just after she was nominated, but before she made her hello America speech. lol  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

*waves to everyone*

Michel

P.C.

I don't think so Michel.  The car dealerships are closed today.

Michel

P.C.

Well we're quite oppressed here on the Island.

A research day sounds like a good idea.  The Frontier is not out of the running....but it's definitely on the bottom of the list.  I suppose if we found it at a phenominal price, it would help shuffle its way up the list.  lol

|