So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Evening..

Another fun evening which ended up at wallmart! There was some things my brother wanted to get so of course we went too. Then.. we noticed that the turkey deep fryers (which of course nobody can live without so everybody needs one) was on clearance. So we ended up getting one of those.

http://www.jambalaya-iron-pots.com/3016_turkey_deep_fryer_kit.htm
[p align="center"]                   [img]http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/images/bc3016_turkey_fryer_kit.jpg" longdesc="30 Quart Turkey Deep Fryer Kit, Basket and Fry Pot" alt="30 Quart Turkey Deep Fryer Kit, Basket and Fry Pot" border="0"][/p]                                                                                                                                                                    [p style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" align="center"]       [font size="2" color="#ff6500" face="Comic Sans MS"]  [/font]       [/p]       [p style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" align="center"]       [font color="#ff6500" face="Comic Sans MS"]30 Quart Turkey Deep Fryer Kit, Basket and Fry Pot[/font][/p]         [p style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" align="center"]       [font size="1" face="Comic Sans MS"]         Item #:  JBC-3016[/font][/p]         [p style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" align="center"]       [font size="2" color="#0000ff" face="Comic Sans MS"]Price:          $81.99[/font][font face="Comic Sans MS"] [/font]         [/p] [p style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" align="center"][font size="2" face="Arial"]  [/font][/p] [p style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" align="center"] [input src="http://www.jambalaya-iron-pots.com/images/jip_add_to_cart.gif" name="I8" alt="Add/View Cart" type="image" width="100" align="bottom" border="0" height="20"] [/p]  
Decided to try it. Anybody know anything about it? Im going to try it next week.

Yeah, its too bad about the accident, but like I said to my gf.. her sister walked away from it and its only sheet metal and some bolts.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Too cute.  

Well....off to work on my book.  (saying that makes me feel important. )

[img alt=15954.jpg src="http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/15954.jpg[/img]  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Michel wrote:
Ah ah ! Yeah rate me, this is my true pic :

This is my current screen saver! LOL, seriously!

P.C.

Sawdust did a turkey in one last summer.  He didn't trust the time....and consequently it was a little overcooked.  So....rule number one....no matter how crazy it seems that a turkey can cook in that short a time.....they're not kidding.

Russ

Cool!

So did you actually use peanut oil like it states in the manual or did you use canola oil? Did you use a turkey injection?

I think its going to be a fun experience.. lotsa liquid beverages will have to be consumed.
It says 3.5 minutes per pound. I do agree with sawdust however. lol.

P.C.

I think we did use peanut oil.....don't know about the injector.

Before you start, a good plan is to fill your pot with water.....put the turkey in a plastic bag, and immerse it in the water.  However high it displaces the water....make the oil at LEAST 6 inches lower than that.  Bubbling over is the biggest hazzard.  

It can really ruin your meal.  

Russ

P.C. wrote:
I think we did use peanut oil.....don't know about the injector.

Before you start, a good plan is to fill your pot with water.....put the turkey in a plastic bag, and immerse it in the water.  However high it displaces the water....make the oil at LEAST 6 inches lower than that.  Bubbling over is the biggest hazzard.  
It can really ruin your meal.

Yeah we planned to do this with water adnthe turkey first just to be safe. My buddy from the states that says he does it all the time told me that its the safest and most reliable way. The safety bulletins we got with the damn thing is amazing. everywhere it states CSA this and that. I read many stories from online about people not paying attention and putting the turkey in and the boiling oil overflowing everywhere.

It says in the manual that the maximum is 3 inches from the top. I only know this cause Starfishie read all the warnings to me many times. Including the one that said it is mandatory that you be sober and not drink while doing this. I made use of the white out I bought tonight.

P.C.

This following clip is from the actual instructions, but I think it is negelecting to take into account, that if the oil is in fact at the proper cooking temperature, that it WILL bubble up like crazy.  That's usually what spills over.  So where it says...."add enough oil to equal what the water level was" is wrong wrong wrong.  You need to allow for 'bubbling'.  Less oil than water mark.  The oil needs to cover the turkey by 2 inches when fully immersed....so you need to keep your turkey to a reasonable size.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes, Russ.  *makes mental note to not watch news that night.

Before you Fry

Before beginning, (and before you even season or marinate your turkey) determine the amount of oil you'll need by placing the turkey in the basket (or on the hanger, depending on the type of fryer you are using) and putting it in the pot. Add water until it reaches about two inches above the turkey. Remove the turkey and note the water level by using a ruler to measure the distance from the top of the pot to the surface of the water. Remove the water and thoroughly dry the pot. [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9f40"]Now add enough oil to equal what the water level was without the turkey in the pot.[/FONT]

Lil Me

Morning!  The rainy season has begun!  *slosh slosh slosh*
 Cold weather and I'm making friends with my coffee pot again.

Russ- I thought you already had a turkey fryer?  I guess I'm confused.

I don't have a turkey fryer, but I'm a convert to fried turkey.  LOVE it.  Fried turkey and campfire.  Mmmmmmmm.

I made turkey carcass congee for the first time and have been eating it all week.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
Morning!  The rainy season has begun!  *slosh slosh slosh*
 Cold weather and I'm making friends with my coffee pot again.

Russ- I thought you already had a turkey fryer?  I guess I'm confused.

I don't have a turkey fryer, but I'm a convert to fried turkey.  LOVE it.  Fried turkey and campfire.  Mmmmmmmm.

I made turkey carcass congee for the first time and have been eating it all week.

Good morning missy LM!
I agree its raining cats and dogs. Im waiting for my coffee to be ready and then making a decision on packing up the Truck for camping tonight.. or tomorrow morning. Ill have to call the boss.

I didnt have a turkey fryer.. I had a garbage can turkey method i did while camping. Not fried.

So whats the plans for eveyryone else on this fine feathered day?

P.C.

Good morning Miss Lil.....and everyone else too.

Russ, I had confusing memories too about you having fried a turkey before.  I think it may have come up back when Sawdust and I did it...and you may have said that it was something you were anxious to try.  That would splain it.

I may go out and do some raking in the rain.  In spite of how yucky it is out there, it's really quite warm.

Lil Me

Morning Russ!  

Finishing my coffee and going to run errands with Mr LM.  He's leaving for another trip to Asia this evening (his last of 2008).

Garbage can turkey?  How?  

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Type the word delicious twice:
Seattle is in a state named what?:
Is the equator round or square?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview