So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Michel

purelife

Good morning PC, Russ, Lil Me, Michel and everyone else.

I heard turkey deep fried is yummy... I guess you could also deep fry chicken too.  Lemme know how it turns out Russ.  MrPL really REALLY wants a deep fryer but I told him no.  We don't have the space and I don't like the clean up.

Costco sells deep fry oil (I think it was grape seed oil), Russ.

No plans for the weekend or tonight.  Just taking it easy, relaxing.    

P.C.

Good morning purelife !

Do they sell the grapeseed oil at Cosco in the giant size ?  It's probably the creme de la creme of frying oils, but I think it's rather expensive.(?)  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
 Morning Russ!  

Finishing my coffee and going to run errands with Mr LM.  He's leaving for another trip to Asia this evening (his last of 2008).

Garbage can turkey?  How?  

Ive been with someone thats fried a turkey.. he already had all the stuff doen so i showed up and had a beer and watched. He had his turkey already injected and the oil warm when i got there. I thought it was canola oil until i got this one and it says everywhere.. peanut oil. It took around 45 minutes. I probably told everyone its really easy and delish.. cause it is. If I could remember.

Garbage can turkey is where you take a metal garbage can, turkey, burquets, rack.
Find a place outside that has loose dirt no rocks, grass, etc.
Make sure the garbage can has had a fire inside of it to burn off the galvanization. (think growing third eye, etc)
Put the turkey on a rack that keeps it at least an inch off the ground, put a tinfoil round tray underneath for the gravy.
Invert the garbage can over hte bird so the lip is in the ground and the bottom is sticking up in the air. Make sure teh lip is about an inch below the dirt
Also make sure that the turkey doesnt touch the side of the garbage can.
Get teh burquets good and hot. Then place them on the bottom and around the lip of the garbage can.
Keep adding burquets as it needs to be about 3.5 hours till cooked.
To cook potato's and carrots, etc. Put the garbage can lid, like a hotplate onto the burquets on the bottom of hte garbage can. Wrap them in tinfoil.
To remove, use a shovel to remove the burquets from around the can and the bottom.Then to lift the can off, Use two pairs of vice grips.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Yep, bulk grape seed oil.  It is even labeled "for deep frying" if I remember correctly.  I forget how much but it wasn't that expensive.  I think there were other oils there too besides the usual canola and olive oil.

Russ

Hope he has a good time LM!

Morning miss PL

I do remember asking questions and talking about deepfrying as I have a smaller deep fryer.. maybe that?

Im still undecided as to whether or not to camp tonight. Im thinking no and to do it tomorrow..

P.C.

Garbage can turkey sounds cool Russ.  I bet there were a lot of people on the Island that wished they used that method on Thanksgiving. 200,000 people out of power for several hours during turkey cooking time.

Camping ?  Yer such a brave soul.

Russ

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Garbage can turkey sounds cool Russ.  I bet there were a lot of people on the Island that wished they used that method on Thanksgiving. 200,000 people out of power for several hours during turkey cooking time.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]Camping ?  Yer such a brave soul.[/div]
Ive seriously never talked about garbage can turkey? We used to do it all the time. Now we are thinking its too much effort ofr camping.

I have spoken with the boss and was informed to get packing. We will be leaving tonight.

P.C.

Happy camping Russ.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/e050.gif" border=0]

Sawdust

Russ Wrote:

So did you actually use peanut oil like it states in the manual or did you use canola oil?

We used Canola oil. Stupidstore had a big 20l box of it for a decent price. Peanut Oil is expensive! It was a breezy day when we did it and the oil never really got to the proper temp. Still good.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a010.gif[/img] Hi hunny

Umm....yea.  I guess I don't remember oil so good.     But I do remember, that you overcompensated the timing, because you didn't trust the length of time because we couldn't keep the temp up. It was still delish....but it could have been delisher.

Michel

Gopher

You want it to run over to you? - Or do you want a dead one?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Dressed....or undressed ?

P.C.

Hey SAWDUST !  COME BACK !!!

Um....where's the laser level ?  

|