Hello Kitten

Started by Gopher, Apr 24 06 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Gopher

kitten wrote:
 Merci beaucoup, mon ami. Nichts zu danken, Liebchen.

A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

That pretty well exhausts my ability to communicate in other languages.  I'm still learning English!  How many words are in this language, anyway?
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Heaven only knows as more and more come into use every day.

kitten

I wasn't counting the techno-speak.  That is well beyond me.

Gopher

Me too, as also is business-speak. Oh let's go back to the mid 1800s!

kitten

With all the mod-cons, though.

Gopher

And that greatest luxury of all: toilet paper!

kitten

And good soap.  The people back then weren't much into bathing.  Which brings up gas masks!

Sportsdude

I'm having problems with the english language lately. I'm seeing its faults and the same word with 4 differnt pronounciations thing going on.  I can see why its one of the hardest languages to learn.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

It is an amalgamation of many languages.  Although there are clear rules of speech, there are so many exceptions that it is extremely hard for someone to learn.  And spelling can be very challenging too.  Consider the people from asia whose languages have little or no relationship to English.  Can you imagine how difficult it would be for them to learn a language completely from scratch?  I admire people who have accomplished that.

kitten

On a final note to [A href="gopher://gopher.......I"]Gopher.......I[/A] was thinking of the extreme modesty of the English in the late 1800's.  They thought that referring to legs was crude and unmannerly, so that their chairs and tables had "limbs", not "legs".  I still get a chuckle out of it.

Do enjoy your packing!  Sayonara.

Gopher

Packing virtually complete - or rather, I've taken advantage of yet another soaking morning to have everything I want to take placed in small piles which I can thence transfer into  the case tomorrow morning in less than ten minutes (I hope).

As for toilet paper, I once visited a mediaeval cottage in a wood in England, it had been preserved as a tourist attraction, Noticing a small moss-filled bowl placed on the floor and wondering what it was, I was enthralled to read on a nearby sign that moss was generally gathered by the children and kept in a bowl by the fire for subsequent use as bumf! The sign also pointed out the fact that compared to what was used in the cities at that period, this was a great luxury. Hope this fascinates you as much as it did me.

kitten

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall reading about that in the distant past.  It's always fascinating to read about other times and customs.  I had my days scrambled and thought this was Saturday and you were leaving today.  That is the trouble with starting in the middle of the week, it makes me very "confoozed".  Since I was too busy reading a couple of books, I forgot to open the paper and notice what day it was.  So I am carrying over the goodbyes until tomorrow.  How is your day so far?

Gopher

Pretty good now that I have at last resigned myself to the factg that every time I go out of the door I'll get wet.

kitten

You should keep a full rainsuit at hand to jump into whenever you go out.  Oh, and perhaps hip waders as well!

|