Hello Kitten

Started by Gopher, Apr 24 06 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

What the rain? eh, okay but when you're walking through debris you can fall easily. I fell through some metal sheeting that was once a wall of a shed due to the rain. lol. Other than that it ruins most of the stuff you are trying to look for in damaged houses, especially ones with no roofs.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

I suppose a metal detector would short out in the rain.  Perhaps you could attach a magnet to the bottom of a cane and find them that way.  It would also save bending over to retrieve them.

Tornados always bring a lot of rain with them, don't they, Sportsdude?  Very scary things, tornados.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Our town council is offering us all free sandbags at the moment - not much use to the shops and the houses which have been flooded today.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

That's really bad, Gopher.  Has it flooded your home?  Would those sandbags be of any benefit to you?

Sportsdude

yeah they sure do. Another reason why I want out of a midwest setting. Yeah I'm moving to a place that could get falling ash from Mt. Rainier in a few years, oh well and then theres the earthquakes that happen every couple of years.

Here I've got worry about floods everytime it rains.

Tornadoes could come every day if the storm is a strong one which they usually are.

And then there's the 200 year or so giant earthquake that will devesistate the landscape so much that the Mississippi River will change course. (thats what happend last time) 8.0 earthquakes. Last one happend in 1812 so these 8.0's (there won't be just one but mostly 3 8.0's like last time) happend every 200 to 250 years so our number is up between now and the end of the century. The earthquakes  will make Katrina look like a paper cut. We're talking millions dead. trillions in damage. Country would go into a recession because all the major highways that go west come through Saint Louis or Memphis. lol. The Country's screwed.

I rather take my chances with a once in a while earthquake instead of tornadoes that could come any day of the week.  

kitten

I would hate to have to make the choice.  Any of them are devastating.  But then, so is crossing the road.  

Sportsdude

Whats the river that has flooded near you Gopher? Do they have strong enough levees? Damn Corp of engineers back in the 50's straightened out and leveed all these rivers down here. Yeah that won't cause yearly flooding but what it creates is a super fast highway of water. When the river gets high the water has nowhere to relieve itself so a crash happens. This means a levee breaks causing major floods. Idiot corp of engineers.  

Gopher

The floods have stopped just 200 yards from where I live (i.e. at the bottom of the road).  

Gopher

It's not the river that has flooded, it's just the heavy rain that's once again done the trick (the fourth time in two months). In any case the river is higher than most of the land on either side of it (if you can imagine it).    

kitten

I'm glad to hear that, Gopher.  I guess you are having an unscheduled holiday, then?  Perhaps you should invest in canoe futures.  Does this sort of thing happen a lot there?  

Gopher

Sportsdude

Around where I live the farm is lower then the river. Not too uncommon. What part of SK are you in Gopher?

kitten

No holiday?  Did you swim to work?

Gopher

I mangaged to get a bus down, but going back I had to wade - no buses running. Today it's so far sunny and warm, but boy you should see the mess. People have slung their ruined carpets into the streets, the television cameras are back again, a whole host of shops closed, fire brigade pumping water out of 'everywhere' etc.etc.

kitten

That's rough, Gopher.  Why doesn't the town issue sandbags before these disasters instead of waiting until it's too late?  Did you wear hipwaders to work?

|