Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Michel

Lil Me

Exit Music- Ian Rankin  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Kafka and his killing machine aka In The Penal Colony.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

The Quiet American - Graham Greene
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Michel

Gopher

I'm hoping that the book will be as well. At the moment I'm finding it heavy going.

Michel

Sportsdude

no more Kafka! yes!

Robert Walser- The Walk... Kafka's favourite author, so Kafka isn't really leaving he's just become a haunting ghost, floating around, saying boo.

Michel

Sportsdude

well we are moving our way up the century, but my prof threw in the 'hey guys he was Kafka's favourite author for all you guys who looooove Kafka. haha"  

Michel

Sportsdude

ehh i'm 50/50 on the guy. During our first story from him I connected the dots about what he wrote about, the idea that the door keeper said there were more doors and more keepers that he couldn't take it either, like it was sickening to him, the idea he was talking about bureaucracies just made sense.
 Then from last year I knew Max Weber was still around during Kafka's period, and I knew Weber was big on these burgeoning bureucracies. Then came Metamorphosis and the Penal Colony, same ideas with different spins.

After the first reading we started talking about Kafka's life because he's writing about his life in these books. Sure enough, his job entailed about being in a burecracy.  

With Kafka we just read the background on him of when he wrote such and such.

Lil Me

Cannery Row - John Steinbeck  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Oh, I enjoyed that one.

Marik

ahhhh you guys read so many books! I'm lucky if I get through 3 novels (that I pick myself) in a year...  there are video games to be played!  

|