The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

purelife

I wish my glasses weren't so expensive.  I need a new frame because the two parts that touch your nose (don't know what they are called) have broken, so these glasses feel awkward on my face. :(  

P.C.

SD....what kind of medical coverage do you have ?  From what I understand, students at UBC have it made in the shade. You should get extended coverage, like AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan automatically when you register for classes.  

I think it's around $200 for THE YEAR....which is extremely decent for what it covers.....which includes vison care, dental care, prescription drugs, vaccinations, and travel health coverage.  Us regular ol BCer's should be so lucky.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

purelife wrote:
I wish my glasses weren't so expensive.  I need a new frame because the two parts that touch your nose (don't know what they are called) have broken, so these glasses feel awkward on my face. :(  
 --

Nose pads?  Might be repairable, depending on how and where the damage is.

The optical store in the mall has repaired my glasses before- for free.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

I am getting some new glasses next month.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
 SD....what kind of medical coverage do you have ?  From what I understand, students at UBC have it made in the shade. You should get extended coverage, like AMS/GSS Health & Dental Plan automatically when you register for classes.  [/p] I think it's around $200 for THE YEAR....which is extremely decent for what it covers.....which includes vison care, dental care, prescription drugs, vaccinations, and travel health coverage.  Us regular ol BCer's should be so lucky. [/p]

No last year I had a real universal health system due to a much better Student Union who fought for students. The system here is rather peculiar. You pay full price and then go to the AMS with your receipt and they pay half the cost or $75.  At least that's what I've been told to do on Tuesday when I go and get new and better glasses.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

You mean, you had MSP ?  You still should have been automatically enrolled for the AMS/GSS Health and Dental Plan.  Check it out.  (1-877-795-4421)

Sportsdude

No no. I have everything you have except citizenship and perm res, I've got to get things renewed every 2yrs. I've explained it a lot now. I have MSP, SIN, Work Perm. I've got everything you've got except CPP (although I'm not sure about this), Passport (I'll be a perm resident after I grad, and citizenship around 2013/2014), and voting rights, and I have to put nationality Canadian at the border as long as I have papers.

Okay last year, you had full prescription, dental and eye coverage by the union. Here at UBC nobody wants to work for that, so you only do partial coverage. Where I go to the doctor on Tuesday where I pay in full then give the reciept to the AMS and they reimburse you up to 75 dollars or something.

P.C.

How does it work in BC? Does the health card pay for the exam? Just in part? Than the eventual glasse, it all have to be covered by private insurance?  

No....medical no longer covers the eye exam, unless the vision problem is related to a medical issue, such as diabetes etc.  They used to....but not any more.  Some extended medical plans cover it though.  As far as the glasses....they have never been covered.

SD...have a look-see....  [A href="http://www.students.ubc.ca/international/handbook.cfm?page=insurance&view=general"]http://www.students.ubc.ca/international/handbook.cfm?page=insurance&view=general[/A]  

purelife

Children get their dental and eye exams/prescriptions covered by MSP up until a certain age.  I remember getting free eye exams and prescription glasses.  

P.C.

Hi purelife.  Miss you !  How are you feeling ?  Hope things are going well.  I've had everything I own crossed for your good health and good luck.

I don't ever remember a time that eyeglasses were ever included in any coverage.  

Sportsdude

PC I know I'm covered under that, its just different from last year. There's no cards involved etc.
And I'm not fully covered for things, just partly.

14km walk tonight around the Seawall up Georgia, nice evening.

P.C.

Gotta love UBC, not covered for optomitry therefore I go without glasses and can't see past 5-7m. (gets blurry)

But if you're covered under that...then you are covered for optometry. [img onclick="selecte('eh.gif');" alt=emoticon src="http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/blehnet/eh.gif" border=0]

P.C.

SD...Speaking of medical, dental, optometry....what are the costs like for dentistry in the US ?

|