So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

purelife

What is the theme?

Sportsdude

Of Merchant of Venice? There's a lot of themes to the play which makes it hard here's what I have to do:

For this assignment, you are going to write an essay that is at least five paragraphs long analyzing the theme of Merchant of Venice.  

Your first paragraph should introduce your topic and make an assertion about what you believe the main theme of the play is. Your next three paragraphs (at least) should offer support for your assertion. You should use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your position. Refer to your reader's notebook for possible quotes and ideas.

Begin by brainstorming about possible themes for the play and supporting evidence for each theme. Choose the theme that you believe can most effectively be defended and identify three supporting reasons.Your reasons should be supportable with quotes from the text. Write a rough draft and save it as a draft. Reread your essay and check for organization and clarity of argument. Check for spelling and grammar errors.  Make any necessary changes.  

When you have completed this assignment, you will submit two files: one with your brainstorming and free writing, and another with your final error-free draft. These files should be named Writing_to_learn2.2_draft.rtf and Writing_to_learn2.2_final.rtf, respectively.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

If you are getting writers block at this stage, get coles notes, or look up on the net for some essays on merchants of Venice. DONT copy them, but just read them through once, then start brainstorming what you know about it. Make sure when you write the essay you include important quotes that define the changes in the play, major changes.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

I've already done that looking at spark notes right now the major themes are

self interest vs. love

Devine Quality of Mercy

Hatred as a Cyclical Phenomenon

Then I tried to open up Microsoft Word on this laptop and apparently its not registered so I can't use it! UGH!!

Can't use the other computer or my sister will hit me and yell at me to get off when she comes home from school.

purelife

Then I tried to open up Microsoft Word on this laptop and apparently its not registered so I can't use it! UGH!!

SD, first thing is close your browser, yes all of them.  Get a cuppa tea and some crackers and then start your essay.  Go for a walk first if you're into relaxing your mind, THEN, start your essay.  Works like a charm.  

Sportsdude

You've seen my handwriting it sucks I hate writing free hand I'm better on the computer.  I guess I'll just write the essay as an email and then send it to myself so when my computer finally gets back I can then upload it onto my own computer.

P.C.

Ummmm, Sportsdude......you're kinda 'around' for someone who's not going to be 'around' today.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c028.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

yeah I know just freaking out over this stupid essay. I hate these things.  They're so easy yet so freaking hard.  Especially when the key to this Microsoft Word is in a room I can't go into at the moment because I'll get yelled at.  So I'm just going to do the test I have to do today until this essay thing is resolved.

Russ

Like PL said bud. Just relax, seriously. Have a coffee, tea, whatever.. go for a walk around the block and start letting your mind wander on the subject. Get an idea of what you want to say (just a basic outline, not a word for word) and then write that out when you get back to your house.

DO NOT TURN YOUR NET ACCESS ON! Believe me, I know. I get the way you are as well when I have to write a report. IF you do need to check something online, do that. DONT 'just check your email' or 'just see what was posted on DS'. You will break your concentration then have to start again.

Good luck bud. Just write. Dont worry if you dont like it the first time.. read it through and change it. thats the advantage of computers..  you can change what you put on the pages.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Do you have or own a tape recorder?  Record your ideas if you don't prefer to hand write.  Then, transfer them over to your Word document.  Just my suggestion.  

purelife

You can write on Notepad.  You don't need Word.  

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Notepad.

purelife

LOL, I'm not getting much work done at the moment myself.  Naughy naughty purelife.  ;)

Sportsdude

sweet forgot about the note pad.

Yeah right now I'm working on this test I have to do for the class easy peasy.  Then I went on facebook and my friend from the UK messaged me she went to Bulgaria to go snowboarding over the break.  So I'm in a good mood now, not freaking out like earlier.

Lise

Morning. Just spent the entire morning shoveling snow. Crap. I hate snow.... bleech. You salt the pavement and it doesn't do a damn thing.

Some branches off my plants have been snapping off due to the weight of the snow and ice. Oh well. I think they're pretty sturdy enough to endure this winter. *fingers crossed*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Bless you for your efforts, my dear Lise.  :)    

|