So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Michel

P.C.

Holy Michel, what an adventure.....at the border that is.  I didn't know it was getting that bad.  I had friends come back recently who told a similar story.  I wasn't sure if they were exaggerating because they were annoyed over a lengthy delay......but it sounds like maybe not.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Sportsdude

Everybody back home gets all defensive and enraged at my 'the country is a prison' experiences, they haven't crossed the border in years, or travelled by plane. I get all happy when flying back home, but then the border people ruin it as they're disgraceful pigs. They're screaming at people telling them to shut up (Calgary), threatening violence (Calgary), looking at me like I'm evil and questioning why I am up here (Vancouver) enrages me to the point where I'm in the 'f*ck the country, may it rot in hell' mode the entire time I'm back in the states.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Oh something just came to me Michel. It's rather silly, but these new BC licences are those special cross the border pieces. If you use that instead of the passport just for American travel, they might not notice.  

Michel

Michel

49er

Sportsdude wrote:
Everybody back home gets all defensive and enraged at my 'the country is a prison' experiences, they haven't crossed the border in years, or travelled by plane. I get all happy [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]when flying back home[/FONT], [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]but then the border people ruin it [/FONT]as they're disgraceful pigs. [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]They're screaming at people telling them to shut up (Calgary), threatening violence (Calgary), [/FONT][FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]looking at me like I'm evil and questioning why I am up here (Vancouver[/FONT]) enrages me to the point where I'm in the 'f*ck the country, may it rot in hell' mode the entire time I'm back in the states.

???? why would they care...you're leaving the country

Sportsdude

They threatened to arrest me once, as I was trying to help them read my Canadian papers. Thankfully I only had the 'If you touch or help me in anyway as I'm in possession of the papers, I will have to arrest you' (the nice guy).  The 'shut up, what are you doing' woman 'officer' (doesn't even deserve to be called one) would of probably have put me in detention (I'd of probably of dared her, I was already pissed off about missing flights to Denver, she needs to be put in her place). I had already goofed once due to the incompetence of the design of Calgary's airport, she had 10mins earlier gone "and what exactly are you doing?" (angry voice). Piece of shit people on power trips is unacceptable.

It's an international embarrassment that these are the people who welcome you to the country. Nobody in the line tries to tell them straight (probably because they don't have the 'rights' to do so, one of these days I might tell one of them to stop it, I frankly don't care what would happen next), all the Americans in line groan and talk about our other border experiences, and then apologize to the internationals for having fascist cops.

Sportsdude

49er wrote:
[em]Sportsdude wrote:
Everybody back home gets all defensive and enraged at my 'the country is a prison' experiences, they haven't crossed the border in years, or travelled by plane. I get all happy [font style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]when flying back home[/font], [font style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]but then the border people ruin it [/font]as they're disgraceful pigs. [font style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]They're screaming at people telling them to shut up (Calgary), threatening violence (Calgary), [/font][font style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]looking at me like I'm evil and questioning why I am up here (Vancouver[/font]) enrages me to the point where I'm in the 'f*ck the country, may it rot in hell' mode the entire time I'm back in the states.
[/em]

???? why would they care...you're leaving the country

No this is coming in and not leaving. I never see the Blackshirts until trying to get in.

They sometimes bitch about me going to school and living in Canada, (they have before, coming home for Christmas last year guy basically straight up said why?) I find that silly, but it fits my overall theory of undergrad out of the U.S.= traitor, anti-american. Its the idea that 'you are too good for us' etc.

Lil Me

Jeez.  I never have problems at the border.
 Maybe it's the station wagon and the kids that makes me look honest.

The only time they ask me extra questions is if I drive through Sumas/Huntingdon because I live closest to 176.  But I'd rather drive out to Abby and skip the line-up, if there is one.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

But when I wear zee beret and talk like zee French, zee Amereecans think I am hostile luneeetic.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:
<DIV>But when I wear zee beret and talk like zee French, zee Amereecans think I am hostile luneeetic.

I wonder if they are still pissed about the "weapons of mass destruction" thing where the French didn't back the Us in the second gulf war because there was no evidence of WMD.  Bullies really hatre it when someone smarter than they are is right.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

purelife

Oh my goodness Michel!  Sorry to hear that you had to go through all that hoopla at the border!  But was your trip worth it though?  (besides getting lost)

I never had any troubles at the border except for one random stop at the border where they checked our car and one time we had to pay duty coming home.  I do get the feeling that the Sherriff's down there love to stop any foreign licence plates.  Last year, my parents got stopped and was asked (after looking at my dad's canadian citizenship card) why he doesn't renew his card.  

Sportsdude

Whatcom County is weird in general. Their police tactics remind me of Georgia State Police going after yankees.

I've been annoyed lately with the "why don't you have an accent" talk by clueless people. As I "you're from the South, so it's amazing that you don't have an accent." I've replied lately with "you don't have a Canadian accent, you sound like someone from Portland or Seattle and not Chiliwack, Squamish, the Island or the CBC. "

|