Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

I know....they're great books.  

Awesome JJ....I think we do too.  I remember my son being beside himself when
Eric did a reading for the kids at our local library.  He had already read them all (and everything else in the library).  He was a voracious reader.

I remember thinking he was regressing when he got in to the Tin Tin books....but discovered they were fabulous too.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

There's local books about Vancouver? Sweeeeet.

I'm stuck on America.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher - Kate Summerscale.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Funny how that works.  When you were in America, you were stuck on Canada.  Now you're in Canada and you're stuck on America.  

Gopher

Hitler's Women - Guido Knopp

(Eva Brown, Magda Goebbels, Winifred Wagner, Leni Reifenstahl and Zarah Leander)

Gopher

Of course I meant Eva Braun. Darn not being able to make corrections!

Russ

I agree Gopher.

Popular Mechanics

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I always wondered what the unpopular mechanics were.  

Russ

P.C. wrote:
I always wondered what the unpopular mechanics were.  

LOL, deep thoughts of PC here people!

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

That's about as deep as they get.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
Funny how that works.  When you were in America, you were stuck on Canada.  Now you're in Canada and you're stuck on America.  

Hahahaha

Blame it on the novels I have to read for class. My profs are British and spent their graduate and phd work in America. So the books are between UK and America. Also, I'm being heavily encouraged by people to focus on American lit for future writing ideas. I'll admit that travel writing is fun for me to do, but I rather write a planning book if I got the chance.

The last Canadian literature I read was years ago back in Nanaimo. What I took from it was this story about growing up in Newfoundland that I really connected to, a story story about a father who never left his small town in Quebec who also had a son who travelled the world, but wanted nothing to do with him. Then before the old man died, the son took his father to Quebec City.

Then probably one of the best books I have ever read 'Can You Hear the Nightbird Call?' is a story about Air India and transnational migration of a Punjab community in Vancouver. For obvious reasons I connected with a few of the characters who felt as if they were living in two places.

Oh and Leonard Cohen. :)

I throughly enjoyed Canadian Lit, but my parents wouldn't be pleased if I had become a Lit major or Film Studies student.

Gopher

I didn't realise they were so unenlightened.

Sportsdude

LM@work

Love in the time of cholera

Gopher

Oh, I read this very recently. It's brilliant. How are you liking it so far? One of the three best books I've read this year.

|