The Road From Damascus - Robin Yassin-Kassab
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

Ian Rankin, the hanging garden

missed this one out of his set somehow
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Travel's with Charley: In search of America- John Steinbeck

Btw,  Duthie Books on 4th Ave is closing after 52 years. I bet P.C.'s been in there a few times. I've only gone a couple.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

[a href="http://www.time.com/time/quotes/0,26174,1956138,00.html"]http://www.time.com/time/quotes/0,26174,1956138,00.html[/a]

"If you don't know how to read, you're not going to get very far in life."

Zhuara Rivera
- 14, of Laredo, Texas, on the closure of Laredo's lone bookstore, making it one of the largest U.S. cities without one; the nearest bookstore is now 150 miles away[div id="TixyyLink" style="border: medium none ; overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none;"]

[/div]

Gopher

The Black Book - Ian Rankin

Lil Me

I gave up on The Sound and the Fury.  Even with lit notes, I was having too much difficulty figuring out the past/present in the narrative.

Back to easy reading!  Medusa by Clive Cussler.    
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Strip Jack - Ian Rankin

Sportsdude

Still working on Travels with Charley - enjoying it immensely.

I've decided to read Brecht's Mother Courage next.

Gopher

Read both of them, SD.

Sportsdude

Oh I will. Its just my reading queue. I'm going back and forth between Steinbeck, Hunter S, Brecht plays and Kerouac. You'd think I'd get tired of American travel writing, but I haven't so far.

Gopher

I meant 'read' in the past tense, SD. Have you tried The Old Patagonian Express by Paul Theroux?

Sportsdude

Nope. But feel free to shout out suggestions. My reading sailboat likes to wander. One of my favourite prof's always hints at books I should read through email that he thinks I'd find interesting. I wouldn't have known about Samuel Beckett that way, or Pynchon or that drunk from Memphis on my first flight to Canada convincing me to read Confederacy of Dunces (which I haven't yet, its one of those I need to get to that stares at me from the shelf).  And so on.

Gopher

I'm pretty much the same, one thing sparks my interest in another.

LM@work

Micro Serfs by Doug Coupland

Gopher

Almost The Truth - Margaret Yorke

|