Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

The Kalahari Typing School for Men

rofl......quick summary please ?  That sounds intriguing.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

just read the symposis on amazon. sounds hysterical.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Uh uh.  I want to hear it from Lil Me.  

Lil Me

Set some years ago, the main characters in this short mystery are lovely, intriguing characters in Botswana- including a wise detective and her assistant.  The title of the book comes from a plan hatched by the assistant detective to supplement her income by opening a typing school for men.

"Typing, of course, was a special case.  Not only was there male anxiety about being bettered by women in the operation of a machine (men liked to think that they were the ones who understood how to use machines), but there was the additional embarassment for them of being seen to do something which many people viewed as a women's activity.  Men did not like to be secretaries and had invented a special word for men who had to do any of that sort of work.  They called themselves clerks.  But what was the difference between a clerk and a secretary?  One wore trousers and one wore a dress."    
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Sounds intriguing Lil Me.  I'm going through one of those 'dry phases' with reading.  3 lousy books in a row, sends me into a tail-spin.  I need something good......AND I NEED IT NOW.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/f035.gif" border=0]

Sportsdude

I've got books about living in middle merica P.C. written by an ex pat who lived in England most of his life? The books are hysterical.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

The Curious Incident of the Dog in Nightime- Mark Haddon

The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs- Alexander McCall Smith
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

JJ

Lil Me wrote:
 The Curious Incident of the Dog in Nightime- Mark Haddon

The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs- Alexander McCall Smith[/DIV]
 [FONT size=2]I love Alexander McCall Smith's  #1 Ladies' Detective Agency books but I haven't read any of his other books.[/FONT]

Lil Me

Tipping the Velvet- Sarah Waters  

kitten

The Laughing Corpse by Laurell Hamilton
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Manhunt - Ian Slater
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

That looks very intriguing, Gopher.  Where can I find a copy?

Gopher

If it's like the last of his books which I read, don't bother. I am only reading this one (well, about to start it) to see if it's as bad as the last one of his that I read.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Really?  If he is on your reading list he couldn't be THAT bad.  You are a discriminating reader.

purelife

At First Sight - Nicholas Sparks

Wow, two in a row:
[span class="smalltext"]shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview[/span]
     [table bgcolor="#ffffdd" border="1"]    [tbody][tr][td colspan="2" align="center"][small]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
    Please type the text below into this field[/small][/td][/tr]    [tr][td align="center"]     [table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"][tbody][tr][td]
[/td][td rowspan="2" class="at_r1"]ke[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]bor[/td][td]n[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/td][td][input name="sauce_check" value="83bbf621bc2afc6d4edba662382a6176" type="hidden"][input name="sauce" size="10" type="text"][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]

|