Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

JJ

I finished, Eldest -  Christopher Paolini.  It was totally predictable from beginning to end, only one minor twist in the middle that I should have seen.

Russ

Michael Connely.. Echo Park
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

JJ wrote:
Gopher wrote:
 The Phantom Of The Opera - Gaston Leroux

I finished this book in July . I didn't enjoy it because  I'd seen the musical.   I wish I'd known there was a book before I we went to the musical it would have been more enjoyable to read the book first! ..............

I'm still reading this book and throughly enjoying it. However I haven't seen the musical so our positions are reversed....and now, of course, I want to see the musical just so I can compare it with the book.

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Lost Continent
I'm a Stranger Here myself
both by Bill Bryson

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

wyk

The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography by Sidney Poitier

Lil Me

finished The Calling of Emily Evans by Janette Oke
 reading The End of East by Jen Sookfong Lee

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Marriage Lines - Ogden Nash

It's just come to me that we've not yet had two people concurrently reading the same book!

JJ

Stone From The River - Ursula Hegi    

purelife

finally finished Sandstorm by James Rollin and am now starting with I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.    

P.C.

Has any one read Paddle to the Amazon ?  I read this a long time ago, and have been trying to locate it to read again.  My friend is good friends of the Starlells....the guys that took this incredible journey.

[!-- [img]http://www.roadjunky.com/images/502.jpg" width="60" height="90" alt="amazon paddle starkell cover" class="thumb_float_left" /] --] [DIV class=content_text] "We've all heard of the father who wants to live out his dreams through his sons, but Don Starkell took it a step further by dragging his sons along with him. Since his marriage broke up in 1970 he spent a decade waiting for his sons to come of age while he planned the journey that would save them as a family – a 9000 mile voyage by canoe from Winnipeg in Canada to the foot of the Amazon river in Belem, Brazil."

It's a great real life adventure read.

[/DIV]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

weird al

I read that, PTTA, a few years ago and loved it. The stuff they went thru was unbelievable, and they were  lucky to live thru it.

Reminds me of another, more sedate, but quite beautiful book, River Horse, by William Least Heat Moon, describing his retracing of Lewis and Clark's expedition on a boat custom-made for the occasion, Nikawa, or River Horse.

Some quite gruelling passages, but nothing like PTTA. Also a lot of historical observations.

And every night they stop at whatever pub is closest to the river, and sample the local craft beer.

Geez, I'll have to read that again soon.

P.C.

Now THAT sounds like an adventure, weird al.     The story of the Starkell's journey is really incredible.  I think one of the sons quit part way through.  I even remember seeing it on the news at some point, but it took my friend to make the connection for me.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

A Shropshire Lad - A.E. Housman  

Sportsdude

The Very Best of Monty Python

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

A Meal to Die for - Joseph Gannascoli

The Kalahari Typing School for Men- Alexander McCall Smith
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|