English Lyrics for the official French Eurovision song creates controversy

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 16 08 03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Jacques Myard, of the UMP party, has urged the company that runs most of France's TV networks to reconsider. [/p] Sebastien Tellier's entry, entitled Divine, combines both English and French lyrics with electro music. [/p] France's culture minister has defended the song, saying the country should fully support his bid for victory.

Mr Myard told the BBC that allowing an English song to represent France was a fiasco: "The French language is the tool of a huge industry in terms of cultural influence and if we French give up our language, what do you think the others will say?"

Mr Myard, himself a fluent English speaker, said it was not appropriate that, in a European contest, France should "monkey another's culture".

the song lyrics in question:
I'm looking for a band today/ I see the Chivers anyway/ Through my eyes/ Oh oh oh I'm/ I'm alone in life to say/ I love the Chivers anyway/ 'Cause Chivers look divine/ Look away/ They try to find the Milky Way/ They love to drink it every day/ No no no you/ You and I, it's like you said/ I'm not a Chivers anyway/ You look fine

[a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7350193.stm"]link to video and article[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."