GPS System

Started by Lise, Apr 06 08 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lise

Wondering if anyone has one? Good to buy now or wait till later when it gets cheaper? What about those DVD/GPS System combo? Will it work in the states if I drive from Vancouver?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

Lise

What the heck's a petroglyph sites? Sounds like something you would stick petrol in...?

I'm thinking about one of those GPS system where you just download the directions off the net. Like I'm not gonna pay the satalite company some ridiculous amount each month for the priviledge of using their system. Just something basic, simple and easy to use.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

49er

Lise wrote:
Wondering if anyone has one? Good to buy now or wait till later when it gets cheaper? What about those DVD/GPS System combo? Will it work in the states if I drive from Vancouver?[/DIV]
 I think it depends on how it is programed.  I've the navigation system in my new car......and its good only in the contiguous US.  I'll need to change the disk in the system for Alaska or Hawaii....I suspect it's the same for Canada

van_guy

Lise wrote:
Wondering if anyone has one? Good to buy now or wait till later when it gets cheaper? What about those DVD/GPS System combo? Will it work in the states if I drive from Vancouver?
Lise.
I don't use the one for the car- buti use a gps all the time for work.  Yeah Michel is right they work all over the world.  I use my small hand held unit in canada / us / remote china / mongolia / northern vietnam and a few other places i can't tell you about.  

For the driving instruction variety - you will have to load (or buy with the GPS) the appropriate maps.  So the sattelites tell the computer where you are on the surface of the earth, the software needs to figure out where you are with respect to the gas station you just requested ...  

As far as buy now or buy later ... well like every other tech you buy it will be cheaper better smaller next week ... but if you want one - the technology is just fine for average user ... i get 3-5m acurracy regullarly in open areas, and 20m accuracy in heavy jungle - there are times when you are in heavy jungle and steep mountains you can have no signal - but for most users you will find the technology very acceptable.  

Here's hoping you don't find yourself lost in a steep jungle.

I hope this helps

VG

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Michel

Sportsdude

I dunno i think it should work for all of north america. Granted this was a top of the line lexus but at the auto show one year I was able to get a map of downtown Vancouver and sushi places, from st. louis, inside a convention centre.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Interesting tid-bit there, VG. I will keep them in mind when (and if) we do look for a GPS. I just thought it would be great to have one in the car if it came with the DVD portable player.

As for getting lost in the jungle, perish the thought!
Bill Cosby.

van_guy

Michel wrote:
i get 3-5m acurracy regullarly in open areas, and 20m accuracy in heavy jungle -

Only 20 m ? wow, it was definitely designed for use with 155 mm shell. Make that with aerial burst and extra shrapnel please lol

I will definitly need one eventually. Too many times I've been walking in circle looking for petroglyphs and totally miss them. Problem is I'm technically challenge. If you ever know an easy to use (VERY EASY should I say) model not too expensive, PM me with the details VG.

Well I'm non-military - they have mm accuracy GPS but it costs a little more and is a bit more bulky to tote around.

So where do you look for petroglyphs?  I found some VERY nice ones in outer mongolia they dated back to the bronze age.  I'll post some pics when i get back to north america and my home computer.

Well GPS are a bit like cars - what kind you want has a lot to do with what you need it for i.e. "get groceries" or "race in the indy 500".
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy they are to use.  Give me an idea of what you want to do with a GPS and i can probably narrow down the field for you ...

van_guy

Michel wrote:
i get 3-5m acurracy regullarly in open areas, and 20m accuracy in heavy jungle -

Only 20 m ? wow, it was definitely designed for use with 155 mm shell. Make that with aerial burst and extra shrapnel please lol

I will definitly need one eventually. Too many times I've been walking in circle looking for petroglyphs and totally miss them. Problem is I'm technically challenge. If you ever know an easy to use (VERY EASY should I say) model not too expensive, PM me with the details VG.

Well I'm non-military - they have mm accuracy GPS but it costs a little more and is a bit more bulky to tote around.

So where do you look for petroglyphs?  I found some VERY nice ones in outer mongolia they dated back to the bronze age.  I'll post some pics when i get back to north america and my home computer.

Well GPS are a bit like cars - what kind you want has a lot to do with what you need it for i.e. "get groceries" or "race in the indy 500".
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy they are to use.  Give me an idea of what you want to do with a GPS and i can probably narrow down the field for you ...

Lise

Basically I need one that will help me navigate Vancouver (mostly) and when I travel to the states. Got to be user friendly and affordable.

What are your thoughts about the GPS and portable DVD combo? They share the same screen, no?[/DIV]
Bill Cosby.

van_guy

Lise wrote:
 [div]Basically I need one that will help me navigate Vancouver (mostly) and when I travel to the states. Got to be user friendly and affordable.

What are your thoughts about the GPS and portable DVD combo? They share the same screen, no?[/div]
Lise,

Sorry I don't know much about the fancy GPS - mine are pretty utilitarian they have to withstand drops down cliff (usually while still in my icy hand), rainforest torrents, waterfalls, desert sand, extreme heat, extreme cold etc......plus usually i don't have a lot of roads nearby so I don't use any kind of navigation systems.

I can look into it a bit for you when I get back to Canada but I think the technology is so good that you will probably chosse more on price than features.  Most will be able to navigate you around Canada / US pretty effortlessly.  

Wish I could be of more help.

P.C.

I use a map.

I also have a method that is often overlooked by some men.....I stop at the nearest gas station and say..."where the heck am I ?"  It's always prooved to be very accurate.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
I use a map.

I also have a method that is often overlooked by some men.....I stop at the nearest gas station and say..."where the heck am I ?"  It's always prooved to be very accurate.

Yes but to use a map one first must know where you are ... this is often difficult if in the middle of a jungle or desert.
Second not tooooooo many gas stations in the middle of the gobi or in the jungle of northern vietnam.
Third I've asked at some gas stations and I think I would have had better luck with old Mr. PG Man

|