GPS System

Started by Lise, Apr 06 08 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

Mr PG gives fine directions.  You just need to speak the right language to him.  He only understands PG.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:
Mr PG gives fine directions.  You just need to speak the right language to him.  He only understands PG.  

But he only knows the way to the peeler bar, the chainsaw shop and the Ford dealership

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Lil Me

When in Rome...  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

van_guy

Lise wrote:
Interesting tid-bit there, VG. I will keep them in mind when (and if) we do look for a GPS. I just thought it would be great to have one in the car if it came with the DVD portable player.

As for getting lost in the jungle, perish the thought!

Yeah I used my little hand held GPS on a trip to the us recently.  If nothing else it stopped teh "how much further question - I handed the GPS to the back seat drivers and they could see exactly how much further - down to the meter!!

Please don't use teh words "perish" and "lost in the jungle" in the same sentence  

Michel

Lil Me

Michel wrote:
The GPS can be used also to find back where I left the car.
 --
 Very important!

van_guy

Michel wrote:
I just checked in my last 2 books that I bought on the subject, still no GPS coordinate in those. I must have seen those on the Web while preparing the Christmas trip and didn't pay attention more than that since I have no GPS device.

To get GPS coordinate of petroglyph, it has to be maily in North America. As I said, the famous sites are relatively easy to find, it's the smaller sites that are hard to find. Roads with no panels, locals who have no clue what you're talking about or give you way too vague information, unmaintained trail that dissapear in the bushes or invisibe on the rocks, mistakes on handwritten maps print from the web, trees or bushes hiding the panels and so on. Often they are so faint you hardly see them. A GPS would be useful ad long as I find those coordinates. Anything cheap and easy to use will do the job. The GPS can be used also to find back where I left the car.

Michel,

So are petroglyphs a hobby of yours??

Finding your way back to the car is VERY important.

This is very similar to the unit i use. It well most likely serve your purposes.
http://www.deakin.com/index.cfm?action=display&product_class_id=3&product_group_id=34&product_id=34&product_sub_id=77

in the next week or so I'll probably buy a new more sensitive unit for teh dense jungle - it's a few bucks more - but if it saves me a few hours of being lost in the jungle it's worth it
http://www.deakin.com/index.cfm?action=display&product_class_id=3&product_group_id=34&product_id=34&product_sub_id=5019

Michel

van_guy

Michel wrote:
Hey it's not that expensive, hope it's easy to use. This give me a good point to start searching what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Yeah I like rock art, usually it's always located in beautiful sceneries, shamans were inspired by their environment, so it's always fun to hike to those places, especially if they're still remote. I studied in archaeology among other things. Never worked in the field, but the passion is still there.

Yeah not too bad - if you like we can get together sometime and I can let you take mine for a test drive before you layout any cash. Pretty simple, my 9 year old uses mine (no pressure) for geocaching and other things.
RE: rock art. very cool.  Remind me next week to look through some of my pics from the Gobi - I stumbled onto some really beautiful pieces when I was there.  As soon as i found one piece i started finding them everywhere - proably 50 pieces in total.  Many of the sites were shamanistic.

Michel

Michel

purelife

Lise - Russ would know.  He has a handheld one.  

ADD:  Sorry Lise, but Christian Bale may be a TAD bit difficult to locate on GPS.

purelife

Lise - just wondering, did you end up buying a GPS for the car?  Or if anyone here owns one?

My brother puchased a Garmin brand (can't remember the number) recently from Future Shop for under $200.  He said that it didn't need to pay monthly to subscribe.  I hope he's right because so many people have told me that no matter which GPS you get, you have to in one way or another.

I'm also looking to buy one but have to investigate first.  

49er

I bought a new car at the beginning of the year with GPS.......there is no fee

Sawdust

Some people friends we know put one in before the road trip to the wedding in Banff. By the time they got there they were calling it "The Bitch in a Box"

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

|