exotic interesting food you have had

Started by purelife, Mar 07 08 11:22

Previous topic - Next topic
|

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Yes he does.  He must have many many talents.   [/div]
I will have to ask SD if he can do the macarena as well as your gif
sure he is handsome enuf - but can he dance??

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

van_guy

Orik wrote:
yeah i hear you on the food safe thing Van_Guy...

that is what might prevent me from trying many of the local delicacy's. the fear of getting sick from bad foods or mishandled foods...

I have been remarkably lucky - i have seen children pissing on or very near my food, animals being slaughtered in a kitchen (I mean sheep sized animals)  - God only knows what i haven't seen. Yet so far I have had only the most minor of gasto problems (I think we will leave the description there - unless someone is interested in the gory details of my bowel).  So I will continue to knock on wood and hope that all the critters i eat are free of jardia etc ...

P.C.

I wonder if you have built up a super level of tolerance or resistance to such ailments.  Personally, I think we are too fussy about a little dirt....homogenizing ourselves and our kids to the point of being susceptible to a single missed germ on a piece of lettuce.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]I wonder if you have built up a super level of tolerance or resistance to such ailments.  Personally, I think we are too fussy about a little dirt....homogenizing ourselves and our kids to the point of being susceptible to a single missed germ on a piece of lettuce.  [/div]
I wonder about the same thing.  have we decimated our immune systems by sterilizing our selves and our food beyond what is reasonable.

P.C.

We've done something to ourselves.  

Anti-bacterial this that and the other thing.  Allergies have always been around, but now they seem to be the norm.  What happened ?  I know they are different things....but ARE they connected in some way ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]We've done something to ourselves.  [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]Anti-bacterial this that and the other thing.  Allergies have always been around, but now they seem to be the norm.  What happened ?  I know they are different things....but ARE they connected in some way ?[/div]
Not sure but there certainly seems to be a temporal relationship.  I'm such a slacker - i should be working but rather am DV'ing. Not too much food to report but i did have too much to drink.  40 Vietnamese cops against Steve (my boss) and I in 4 hours i drank enuf rice wine to be drunk for 2 days.  i felt poopy for an additional day. Crikey - and now it's Tet.

Orik

Tet ? what means Tet van guy ?
 and why on god's green earth would any one person want to drink more than 1 glass of wine is beyond me. and to make matters worse the 2 of you undertook a drinking contest with 40 Vietnamese police officers.

do you have a death wish or something ?  

i can understand a nice glass of wine with a nice dinner or a nice dessert wine after dinner and such. but to actually drink wine to get drunk ye gads that's why they invented scotch for, to wash out the foul taste of beer and wine :P :D  ^ that is all a joke by the way. i would however like to know what tet means though...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

van_guy

Orik wrote:
Tet ? what means Tet van guy ?

Tet is the vietnamese version of chinese new year.

and why on god's green earth would any one person want to drink more than 1 glass of wine is beyond me. and to make matters worse the 2 of you undertook a drinking contest with 40 Vietnamese police officers.

hard to explain its the only way to gain trust - if you don't drink with them they do not trust you - and if they do not trust you - your business will fail.

do you have a death wish or something ?  

nope just work. i get paid to do this ...

i can understand a nice glass of wine with a nice dinner or a nice dessert wine after dinner and such. but to actually drink wine to get drunk ye gads that's why they invented scotch for, to wash out the foul taste of beer and wine :P :D  ^ that is all a joke by the way. i would however like to know what tet means though...

when i say rice wine it is more like what you and i would really call vodka - but its made from rice a bit like sake. but this stuff is vile ... liek sake and gasoline mixed.

Orik

a nice vodka i like and i have never had sake.

with my liver shot to hell. i will probably never get to try it. but i shall keep hoping i can. their are so many other things in life to try yet. a glass of this vial rice wine for instance... sighs.. and you get paid to do this... could almost be fun... peace to you vanguy enjoy the new year celebrations.. and pls send pictures soon of the locals and the shops.. i may not get to travel with you but i do hope to see with your eyes via ur photography the places u have seen.

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Lil Me

Rice wine is the crap that winos drink on the street.  Mind you, the "cooking" grade stuff in Vancouver is laced with salt to discourage drinking.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Orik

long before my time michel long before i was even born. history is not my forte and i acknowledge my lack of knowledge / education on the facts of history that others know. my world wide trivia is not enough to fill a thimble.. this might be sad info but i can not even tell u when ww1 and 2 started or ended... i represent all the illiterate & uneducated masses... of today's society... frankly i am amazed i retained any education from school at all...

Orik

and if that is the same stuff van guy was drinking lil me i will positively skip a glass of that... if ever my doctors give me a clean bill of health and if they will ever let me have a drink again...

that will be one i will skip... first on my list is a glass of hot sake to wash down some great sushi. preferably while in japan... then a nice cold Japanese beer... so many things to try and do. and i will probably never see the other side of bc... ahh well that's why we dream to have hope for a better future

van_guy

Michel wrote:
Têt is the Lunar new year in Viet Nam Orik. It was at that time that the famous Têt offensive (I'm surprised you never heard that name) was launched by the Viet Cong and the Viet Minh in 1968. It failed rapidly militarily outside of Hué where the US had to fight for a month before retaking the city. However the Têt offensive was a victory on the political scene has it totally changed the perception of the war in USA and convince Lyndon B Johnson as not presenting himself at the presidential elections, as the official lie so far was that the anticommunists were winning the War without any problem. Most of the Viet Nam war scenes you see today of urban heavy fighting come from that episode. Even the US embassy in Saigon was under siege. Biggest political mistake of the Viet Cong and the Viet Minh was to order the population not to arise, as they were scared to be pass over on their Left and that the liberation war become a revolution. In USA, even Nixon the warmonger was obliged to present himself to the elections saying he would stop the war when in fact he spreaded it secretely to Cambodia and Laos. Reminds me of Obama with Pakistan right now...

Chuc Mung Nam Moi to the Vietnamese people! Doc Lap !

That was the historical minute lol

Michel,

I am impressed. Both on your historical details and the current reading on things.
I managed to get through Tet relatively unscathed - i do have an office party today - this should be the last of the festivities. Whew!
Chuc Mung Nam Moi (roughly translated - Congratulations New Year) to you too.

|