The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

Hi SD.  So where are you these days. Here or home.

Incidently, I'm with your family regarding the curling. [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I'm 'home,' but one isn't supposed to be lost when home, so I may not actually be home.

I think my home is google maps and street view + arcade fire music [a href="http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/arcadefire/sprawliimountainsbeyondmountains.html"]http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/arcadefire/sprawliimountainsbeyondmountains.html
[/a]

I believe I failed the math test for a position at Target during the interview process. The test had algebraic equations.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

I was good at algebra until I had to show the workings out in paper. Two of us my class could only do it in our heads, but instead of encouraging this 'talent' (or whatever it was),) we were censured for it. After that both of us lost all interest in the subject. And I certainly couldn't do it in my head nowadays. Great teaching!  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

I'd always get C-'s (low 70s) in math. I found math to just be a bunch of numbers, and I longed for a historical text to it. If we spent just as much time studying the people behind the numbers, I probably would be better at math (in other words, teach math like you do biology).

My grades suddenly became B's mid 80s when I took geometry; I can visualize degrees and angles rather easily.
But I forgot all of the formulas in geometry, so I'm rather useless.

The main fault to my math education was imperial units. For some reason math and distance started to make sense the minute after I crossed the border and used the metric system.

Gopher

Metric's a lot more logical, but I still prefer imperial.

P.C.

Same here Gophie.  Don't know if it's just stubbornness or what, but it won't sink in for me.  To cover my embarrassment for not knowing it, I tend to over compensate by turning it into a joke.  I usually ask for a kilometer of steak when I'm at the butcher, or a liter of fabric when I'm at Fabricland.

Gopher

Great idea, I must start doing the same.

Sportsdude

The way you guys get confused with everything is the reason why the U.S. fails in Math. They teach us both, at the same time, on the same test even. Confusion galore.

Life is easier to count when it's in 10s than 1,238ft or whatever it is.

P.C.

That's easier said, by someone who didn't learn it one way, and use that one way all their life, and then try to erase everything they learned to learn it differently.  It's not about whether it's easier or harder, it's about change.

I can't imagine how that is related to why the U.S. fails in math.  

Sportsdude

In the U.S. they teach us both at the same time.
One question on a test will be in imperial, the next in metric.
It confuses the heck out of you, which doesn't create the best learning environment, and you end learning neither.

P.C.

If both were taught from the beginning, it shouldn't pose too much of a problem.  Similarly, it's easier to learn a second language when young, than it is later on.  It has to be, or beomes second nature.

I'm going to go pour myself a meter of coffee. [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/12.gif"]  

Gopher

Sportsdude

Well it didn't help me nor anyone else I knew.

This time of year is great if your local climate is predictable.

Gopher

I wonder why women talk so much more than men.

DDD

Gopher wrote:
 I wonder why women talk so much more than men.[/DIV]
     LMAO...............tell me if you find out why
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

|