The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lil Me

Um.  This is in respect to hiring someone at your new job?

Let me remind you- you were at times upset that people made certain assumptions about you based on the fact that you were "American", without taking the time to find out whether these assumptions were true.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Yes....good reminder.  

What job has someone who's worked for a week, do the hiring ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

This isn't the job I've had for a month, its the school "office" job, you'll know what that is. The 4 of us who hired her saw her resume, I knew what kind of person she'd be. Her resume screams this type of beyond optimistic super proud to be an American fight the progressive cause type, or you don't have a personal photo of yourself with Obama.

I asked the usual question I get asked "why did you come to UBC?" I never ever actually answer this question because its beyond anyone who wasn't born in my area's comprehension, so  I make something up about wanting to see whales, trees and riding a bike to the beach lol. I asked her this question and she spammed my fb wall with "reasons why she's American and why she's proud to be an American" which gives me a headache, an upset stomach, and drives me to drink. lol

Other than that, she's great and I can't wait to work with her for 2009-2010 year.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

I've just unearthed a photo of my great-grandparents.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Oh WOW Gophie !  How did you come across this ?  I can see pics of mine from articles on the web....but nothing from the family's 'personal affects'.

SD....there's nothing wrong with being proud of where you came from.  Many people are.  Even many people who came from nothing.  I've never considered it to be a flaw.

Gopher

P.C. wrote:
Oh WOW Gophie !  How did you come across this ?  I can see pics of mine from articles on the web....but nothing from the family's 'personal affects'.
 I found some old photo albumns I'd not seen before. They're full of interesting stuff.

P.C.

Lucky !  Sounds like a treasure.  

P.C.

Forgot to ask.....is there bits of info written on the backs ?  After going through some old pics of mom and dads, where nothing is written, I have learned that it's a good idea.

Gopher

Bits written on the back of some of them, I'm emailing them around the world trying to get other relatives to come up with their versions of who's who. What's most striking are the funny clothes they're all wearing (especially the women)  and the fact that (understandably, I suppose) they're all surrounded by antiques.  

P.C.

lol ...Surrounded by antiques....imagine that....lol

There was an era, that rich little boys posed for pictures in velvet dresses.  Like to know more about that.

Sportsdude

We all are representative of where we come from in some way or another, I'm more small a- then big A. I always use this TS Elliot quote: "It is self-evident that St. Louis affected me more deeply than any other environment has ever done. I feel that there is something in having passed one's childhood beside the big river, which is incommunicable to those people who have not. I consider myself fortunate to have been born here, rather than in Boston, or New York, or London."

He never went back, neither did Mark Twain, Hunter S Thompson, Bill Bryson, Johnny Depp etc. We all left the area, did our own thing.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

I just received an e-vite to a baby shower that the mother-to-be is throwing for herself.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

If you plan on taking a gift, maybe you could send it over and she can wrap it.  After you ask her what's ok to buy her of course.  

P.C.

Ahhh....there's your post about your trip.  I thought I'd seen it, but then couldn't find it.  Can't wait for pics.

(are ya sure the Bisons were fighting ?)  

|