Canadians not buying 'green' cars apparently

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 01 07 08:01

Previous topic - Next topic

tenkani

Just bought a car a couple days ago.

A Mazda 3 hatchback. It gets 18 MPG in city, 38 on highway. Could be better, but the whole package was a great balance between size, power and economy. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

P.C. I think you asked about the tax rebate in the U.S. for hybrids? I heard recently that they are ending the rebate. Nice. And at the same time the biggest push here in the states for alternative fuels seems to be for corn ethanol vehicles. Corn ethanol happens to be one of the least efficient alternative fuels available. But don't tell that to the corn lobby...

P.S. Sportsdude, Mazda doesn't make "boring" cars    ;)
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

P.C.

Interesting tenkani.  I heard about a few states that are offering free parking for 'green' cars.  It's a small step, but it's a step.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

yup they're dropping the hybrid tax because well Bush doesn't like it. And well they're adding more ethanol vehicles the biggest joke on the planet will because that helps Bush's conservative base of farmers.  

The only people actually seeming on wanting to change the landscape is Tesla but they're years a way from making an affordable electric car.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

Word, Russ. f*ckin' Zoom Zoom!!

My 3 drives like a cream dream    *swoon*

I used to hate driving and now I know why.

I used to drive a 15 year old van. Fun?

Russ

I agree Tenk.. I have driven mostly older vehicles and I recently had a 2002 corolla loaner.. I want something small and newer now.. so starfish scientist is going to buy one, lol.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

tenkani

Nice! Have fun with that!!

Shopping for a car is such sweet sorrow, hay?

I'm glad it's over.

Next time maybe there will be more clean diesel or affordable hybrids on the market.

Sportsdude

tenkani

Yeah, I considered the fit.

Consumer reports seemed to like it but it's pretty small and the automatic transmission flavor is underpowered apparently. But it's all about balance. If you're willing to give up horsepower for economy/ecology then it's a great car! The thing is very reasonably priced, and is that the car that comes standard with ABS and side airbags??

Sportsdude

what year model did you get Tenkani?  

Sportsdude

yeah the fit is standard on side air bags and ABS  

P.C.

Oh jeebus......I'm looking all over the board to see where you posted that you had already bought a car....couldn't figure out how I had missed it.  And there it is....right above me.

Well congrats tenkani!  I'll have to look up what one of these looks like. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/e040.gif" border=0]    

tenkani

I got a 2004. It only had 24,000 miles on it so I lucked out.

I noticed today that the front grill on the bottom is smashed though and that the radio antenna is gone. Otherwise it's in good shape. When I hit the gas and get pressed back into the seat I feel a strange tingling in my loins   *blush*          

Sportsdude

Yeah I'm going to eventually be in the market for a new car.  Once I finish my schooling in the next week or two (deadline is feb. 20th) I'll be working full time again.  I'm either looking at the Fit or I'm curious to see what the new xB from Scion is going to look like.  The box still rocks imo.  

P.C.

Looks good tenkani.....and a pretty impressive review.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c014.gif" border=0]

[A href="http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=101737"]http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=101737[/A]

Looks quite similar to the Ford Focus.

|