Passports into US for all Canadians

Started by Lise, Jan 17 07 03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Canadians need passport to get into the USA?

Yes
3 (42.9%)
No
2 (28.6%)
Don't Care
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

P.C.

Thanks for the on-line form links, Russ.  Our friends have skipped the trip to Victoria today, and are now doing it on-line.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

No problem.. any way to help!

fletcher, go anywhere that ADVERTISES passport photos. The cheapest and fastest place Ive found for passport photos is Walmart. They take your picture and you pick them up in half an hour after wandering around the store laughing at all the fools. I think its 8.99 for two. They will come stamped on the back with the place and date. You then take them to your guarantor (sp??) and have him sign them. Use your family doctor or something like that, they also have to sign the form you send in IIRC (if i remember correctly). Then you have your birthcertificate as well as your other supporting document. The guarrantor must have known you for five years and is a 'professional', like a doctor or professional engineer. IF you dont have one, you have to use a notary public, which will cost you 25 bucks at least.

Just so everyone knows, for an extra 5 dollars more now in canada, you can get a 48 page passport instead of the regular 24. I get that now, otherwise I fill up three passports in 5 years.. I really hope they increase the longevity of the passports as well from 5 to ten years like ALL the other countries.

EDIT: drat, Lise already posted most of this
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Sheesh. Extra $5.00. Great. Soon it'll hit $100, mark my words.

I had to do Lise Jr.'s passport. They only allowed her two years. I guess kids change all the time hence the two years limit. A pain in the butt.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

really? do you know if that is recent? I know it kindve makes sence but still... wonder what age it changes to 5 yr ones as well.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

This seems contradictory to saying that children need passports......at least in some cases?

[H2]How does this policy affect current valid passports?[/H2] [P class=important]If you are a parent who holds a valid Canadian passport that lists the name of your child,[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffbfdf"] the passport will remain valid for you and your child until it expires.
[/FONT]
However, there are 2 exceptions. When your child travels without you or when he or she reaches the age of 16, your child is required to have a separate passport.

Lise

Nope, PC. The child is required to have passport. I know because I had to go to Australia and Lise Jr. was only 7 months. She couldn't be put under my own passport and had to get a new one. It's probably better (less hassle) if the child gets one of her or his own.

Kinda funny because I remember I had to hold her up on my lap and they took a picture of her. I had to wear a white blanket so I wouldn't be included in the photo.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

whats Austrailia like Lise? You watching the Aussie Open?
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"][FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffc0c0"]If you are a parent who holds a valid Canadian passport that lists the name of your child, the passport will remain valid for you and your child[/FONT] until it expires. [/FONT]

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffbfdf"][/FONT]

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"]Would that be because Lise Jr. was not already listed on your passport before you had to travel?  That paragraph was taken from Passport Canada,  ( [A href="http://www.pptc.gc.ca/can/children.aspx?lang=e"]http://www.pptc.gc.ca/can/children.aspx?lang=e[/A] ) and is more than a little confusing.  First it says all children need a passport, but then go on to say that if they are listed on the parents passport, they don't.  So is this not the case ?  I've always had a bit of a problem deciphering government babble.[/FONT]  

Lise

It is possible, PC. Now that I think about it.... if you already have a passport that has your children under you and is NOT expired, you can take your kids with you into the states. However, once expired, the new law comes into effect, which means each kid will have to have one passport each. At least..... that's what they told me.

I think.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

It's hard to make heads or tails out of some stuff, the way they write.  I guess the bottom line is, it would be safest for each child to have their own.  Babies change so rapidly though.....within months, they don't look the same.

Lise

True enough, PC. They should just come straight to the point instead of confusing more people.

Just watched the news. Apparently it's a nightmare to get your passports these days. If you want to go on holidays, be sure to get your application in months ahead of time.

Bless point for you, PC! I brought up your karma to 500! Woot!!
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Heyyyy THANKS LISE.....I wondered why that brass band showed up at my door with conffetti and flowers and a singing telegram !!  

My boss was having a tantrum the other day, because he couldn't go to Mexico, and I told him he was a dough-head......that it's been in the news for years, that this was coming, and although the deadlines have changed numerous times, it has never changed to a shorter deadline.    

Sportsdude

As with most people PC they'll say they never saw it coming but of course they wait for the last minute or something.

There's a line in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy that would fit your boss well.  When Earth is about to get destroyed the Alien thingys say to the people panicking on Earth that the plans have been at a meeting hall (in the nearest star to Earth) for over 30 years. lol love that movie.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|