Passports into US for all Canadians

Started by Lise, Jan 17 07 03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Canadians need passport to get into the USA?

Yes
3 (42.9%)
No
2 (28.6%)
Don't Care
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Sportsdude

yeah the no fly list is a joke it just picks up peoples names randomly that sound similiar to a arabic terrorist name.  Its dumb.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Ive had a passport for years now.. I keep filling them up before their five year expirey as well.

The last time one of my friends went a few weeks ago it was a five hour lineup to wait to apply for a passport. If you are going to get one, download the passport application online, fill it out, and mail it in with your supporting documentation.. make sure you send it registered mail.

As far as I understand it its liket eh 23 or 26 of this month you need a passport to enter the US, citizen or not, by plane.

In another year you will need passports for all forms of entry..

EDIT: Drat jsut saw the link.  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

It is Lise.  It's funny, because I've never been able to stomach that guy, but he is perfect in this role.  I think his character is actually a bit of a parody OF William Shatner.  He's an obnoxious letcher (sp?), but he does it so well.

James Spader is the draw for me.  I absolutely LOVE the way he words EVERYTHING.  It's the only series 'drama' that I watch.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

I can't send my supporting documents by mail. I still don't trust that.

I usually head to the office pretty early to avoid the crowd. Go before 9am and on a weekday. Last time I went there, they basically screwed my name and told me to come back in two hours.

A little bird told me you can go to the Richmond one (don't know where it is) where there's virtually no line-up.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Sorry if this question has been addressed.

So, this only applies to flying and not driving to the border, right?  I plan to drive to the States soon.  

P.C.

Really Russ ?  Can you download the forms and TAKE them.  Would this speed up anything?  I have a couple friends that are heading down to Victoria tomorrow.    

Lise

Someone's gotta a crush on James Spader!!!

purelife - I would just go ahead and get a passport done pronto. Save yourself the hassle at the border and get it done.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

yeah you don't want to get interrogated.

Russ

Yes purelife. Only flying for the next year. Until Jan of 2008.

Heres the instructions miss PC

[A href="http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/index.aspx?lang=e"]http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/index.aspx?lang=e[/A]

And heres the online instructions

[A href="http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/pol_on-line_form.aspx?lang=e"]http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/pol_on-line_form.aspx?lang=e[/A]

Heres the form

[A href="http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/printable_forms.aspx?lang=e"]http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/printable_forms.aspx?lang=e[/A]

I agree lise.. although a few of my friends have done it.

When I do apply for a new passport, even though Im on time off I charge my company a full two days of pay for taking the time to gather up my stuff for my passport as well as the day of standing around applying. I also charge them for all my expenses.. like a lunch at shenanigans.    

purelife

You're right Lise.  I've gotta save myself from the hassle especially because I'm not white with blonde hair and blue eyes.  :P

The passport office downtown has an extremely long wait.  Oh well, will have to do it soon.

Sportsdude

beware of border patrol people they tend to racist and scrutinize non white people.

BBC did a story of a lebanese canadian who is a journalist for the BBC was born in Canada but has a Lebanese name.  He got interrogated and held over night for a day because the border guards thought he was suspecious looking and had a funny last name.  Couldn't carry food into the US.

First hand experience:  I went to Niagra Falls long time ago ('99) as a kid way before 9/11 and there was this hispanic family in front of us on the bridge you could walk across between the two countries over looking the falls.  My sister, mom and dad and I weren't even talked to they just waved us on by to the american side but the hispanic family had to empty out all of their belongings, show ID's, proof of things and everything.  

Russ

purelife wrote:
 You're right Lise.  I've gotta save myself from the hassle especially because I'm not white with blonde hair and blue eyes.  :P

Dont worry, your better :)

The passport office downtown has an extremely long wait.  Oh well, will have to do it soon.[/DIV]
 I would PL. Im going to redo mine again soon. Print out the forms and have everything ready, then either send them in (registered mail) or apply in person. You can get rush order passports for alot more money, but you can get them done in 24 or 48 hours if you need them. I got one done in 48 hours before, cost me (my company) almost three hundred though.  

P.C.

Tad off subject, but I always thought that was weird that they would confiscate oranges at the border.  For heavens sake, they CAME from there !!!!!    

fletcher

If applying for a passport on-line, what about the picture you have to have taken?  Where do you go to do that?  If the passport costs $87, how much does the picture cost?  If you go to one of the offices to apply, do they take your picture and it is all included in the $87?  There are four people in my family.  It sure adds up. Thanks.

Lise

You'll need to get the passport photos done in any photo studio. They need to be aware of the requirements, as in light background, no smiling and a stamp of their location at the back of the photos. I don't remember how much they cost but something like four might be under $10.00 or so.

You will also need signatures from guarantees, eg. lawyers, doctors, dentists etc.

Hubby just saw Sinclair Centre yesterday. The place was packed. There's a line to get into the head office there. Expect passports to take up to several months for processing as everyone is panicking and getting them done now.  
Bill Cosby.

|