Passports into US for all Canadians

Started by Lise, Jan 17 07 03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Canadians need passport to get into the USA?

Yes
3 (42.9%)
No
2 (28.6%)
Don't Care
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Lise

So the new law regarding passports for all Canadians entering the USA comes into effect pretty soon. Personally, I don't mind the law. I've been carrying a valid passport into USA (even for stop-overs) for ages so this doesn't bother me.

I do think if they require us to have a passport to get in the country, we should require all US citizens to do the same too. But I doubt that would happen soon.....................

[H3][FONT size=6]U.S. passport rules kick in one week from today[/FONT][/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Tue. Jan. 16 2007 11:38 PM ET

[P class=storyAttributes]CTV.ca News Staff

Time is running out for Canadian travellers flying into the United States to ensure they have the right documents. Beginning a week today, Canadians will need to present a passport when arriving by air from any part of the Western hemisphere.

It appears that most Canadians have gotten the message. As of this week, about 96 per cent of Canadian air travellers are complying with the new rules requiring them to present a passport at the airport, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Bob Jacksta told a news conference Tuesday.

Travellers from Mexico boast a compliance rate of 99 per cent.

But Americans have been slower to get on board; only 90 per cent of U.S. travelers who are travelling overseas are currently carrying passports.

[FONT size=1]Read more: [/FONT][A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070116/passports_070116/20070116?hub=Canada"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070116/passports_070116/20070116?hub=Canada[/FONT][/A][A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070116/healthy_donuts_070116/20070116?hub=Health"][/A]  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I got an idea I'll go across the border into Canada without a passport and then the US won't let me back in and all my problems will be solved. lol
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

CK

Yeah, how does that work? Do Americans need passports to get home?

Americans don't really come to Canada anymore anyways do they?

I have a passport too, but only go the the US about once a year. When I was in my early 20s, it was almost once a month. Not for shopping or anything, just to escape Vancouver and enjoy Seattle nitelife. Vancouvers night scene was...er is..rather dull in comparison. but, Vancouver is nice in other ways.

P.C.

I understand there is quite a back-up in aquiring a passport right now.  Had some friends just cancel a trip, as their passports won't be ready for at least 3 monthe.  I don't think you need one yet if you are driving, only for flying ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

CK

I think it is for flying only? But I have trouble keeping up with the new rules so maybe it is for all visitors?

Sportsdude

The trick for us yanks is that we don't need a passport to get into Canada but we need a passport to get back in. Hence my joke about fixing all my problems of not having to go back.

P.C.

I'm not going anywhere soon, so I'm not too worried.

It's something I should do mind you.  I've never had a passport, but being as I don't fly, I'll probably be fine for a while.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/tiere/n038.gif" border=0]  

Sportsdude

I'm going places soon so this sort of affects me.  Depends on where I end up.

Lise

I think passports are required for anyone going into the US, be it air or land or sea. I bet there are a lot of stranded Canadians living in the states.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

It's coming Lise, but not yet I don't think.

[P xmlns:o="urn:www.microsoft.com/office" xmlns:st1="urn:www.microsoft.com/smarttags" xmlns:w="urn:www.microsoft.com/word" xmlns:x="urn:www.microsoft.com/excel"]The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

[UL xmlns:o="urn:www.microsoft.com/office" xmlns:st1="urn:www.microsoft.com/smarttags" xmlns:w="urn:www.microsoft.com/word" xmlns:x="urn:www.microsoft.com/excel"] [LI]Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.
 [LI]As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries. [/LI][/UL]

Sportsdude

pretty much Washington wants to kill tourism in North America.

Lise

So one year from now, that means EVERYBODY and no exception. Well, at least people have that long to do it. They'd better.

I can just see the fees for passport going up and up and up..........
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Bush probably doesn't, heck he probably wouldn't even know where to get a passport.

P.C.

Does anyone watch Boston Legal ?  There was a good one on last night. It wasn't so much about passports, but about being on the governments 'No Fly' list.  It was excellent how James Spader laid it out how ridiculous their system is, and how the staggering amount of technology we have should make this problem easy as pie.  

Lise

Hm. Nope. I haven't watched a single episode of BL but I hear it's really good. Isn't that the one with William Shatner in it as well?
Bill Cosby.