So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

purelife

There ya go...a gift that you could get for her.  You could dip strawberries and bananas in the chocolate.  But really, it's not about the dipping, you know. ;)  I'm sure you two will enjoy these little fondue sets.

Sportsdude

cool pl, thanks I'll try it sometime. Tonight its frozen hungarian food flown in from grandma's via southwest airlines.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

True enough about dipping purelife, lol. Tis not a bad idea.

What type of Hungarian food SD? You are very lucky, my grandmother isnt the best with her eyes anymore so we dont give her any hints we like her food. I miss grandma's food, it was done the old real way. Wah!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

awww..... that's sad to hear Russ.  Did she pass along her cooking secrets to her kids?  I don't have a grandma where I can learn her cooking but am hoping to learn how from my b/f's grandma.  She makes awesome German food and rhubarb pie and pies in general.

Sportsdude

chicken, pork, beef.
cooked with lots of paprika turns the meat red. Meat turns very soft.
Don't think she made meatballs.
She doesn't cook as much as she used to either. Once she hit 80 she didn't see the point in cooking all day for dinner. She gets tired out easily. We can't all go down to Florida to visit her anymore she gets overwehlmed.  Can't breathe right either, has black lung disease from either the forced labour camps in europe she was in for a couple years or always working with bleaches and other chemicals.

Russ

Im sorry to hear that SD.

Kindve not really purelife, we all used to go over and make sourkraut with her when we were younger, but she has lots and lots of written down recipe's in german which we cannot read. She's german background and my granddad was Lithuanian. Mmmm, rhubarb pie.. I remember that!

Sportsdude

type them out on a translator site and translate them it won't be completely correct but it will be close enough or find someone who knows german.
All I know is the common table prayer. lol

Russ

I cant read her handwriting. Neither can my dad (her son)

purelife

awww...oh well...I'm sure that new and better recipes will come along the way.  :)  

Russ

Did you just edit your post purelife? I swear it was different and you mentioned sauerkraut. Maybe Im going crazy.

Is there any way to tell if a post has been edited? Most of the other sites Im on will say at the bottom of the message if it was edited, I tend to write EDIT: then the change as some others do.

purelife

hee hee...yeah, I did edit my post.  You're quick!  We used to have that underneath our post (the edit feature and the time) but I think it disappeared.  Not sure....

Lise

Did someone say fondue? Hm. I'm not a big fan of fondue... made that for a party and nobody wanted to eat chocolate. Isn't that weird? I guess they're not into dipping and sharing. Heh.

Maybe it's because I used Toberone as my chocolate base. It came out looking kinda weird.

Anyone tried cheese fondue?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

We have done the cheese fondue and one with meats and seafood.  Last New Years Day, we had 4 fondue pots going.  One with oil for prawns, scallops, chicken, pork and beef cubes. One with broth for broccoli bites and veggies. (There was a tempura batter for the meats and veggies if you wanted.)  One with cheese for chunks of foccasia and sour dough.  And one for the dessert.  Chocolate and orange brandy for strawberries, mandarin orange segments and some other stuff.  We put out a line of 20 different dipping sauces for the different meats.

It was really an awesome way to eat......lots of conversation.  You tend to eat slower and enjoy more.

That was the first time we had ever done fondue and we are going to do it again this New Years Day.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

That sounds so delicious, P.C.  I can't see buying one for myself though.  Just too much trouble for one.  I think I would enjoy the meats more than the sweets.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Lise

Dang, PC! That sounds hevenly!! When can we all come over to your place for fondue?

Fondue is definitely not to be tried alone though I have ended up eating most of it on my own. I've never touch it since that party night. Ah well.

PC..... .what type of cheese do you use? [/DIV]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

|