So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

SD wrote:  Something really cool happened today, [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffbf"]VANOC called[/FONT], they gave me a volunteering job....

So...how did this come about ?  I mean....they don't just call people out of the blue, do they ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I signed up to volunteer a couple months ago. You're then suppose to pick what you want to do. I picked open/closing, hockey and speed skating as my 'wants'.

they called me asking about opening/closing.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

My friend is volunteering her time for Vanoc. Turns out she's a Russian translator but that's not all they want her to do. She's got a huge list of things to do which is ridiculous. All without pay but on the plus side, she gets perks like going to the opening/closing ceremony etc. etc. Still not worth it though. You'd have to take time off from work to participate and that's something I can't see myself doing.

No dinner for me. I had an AYCE lunch buffet at Top Gun restaurant in New Westminster. Thought we'd take the kids out for a walk around the pier and market. Surprise to find the market has closed... been closed for months now. What a waste. With summer approaching, they'll be people abound looking for things to see and do in New West. Ah well.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I guess that's what volunteering is all about.

Lise.....are you talking about the Westminster Quay ?  [/DIV]

Lise

LOL. OK, yes, that's the name. Westminster Quay. The other one is Lonsdale Quay, right? I don't frequent that area that often.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Morning!  Hope everyone had a good weekend.
 I haven't been to the New West Quay for ages.  It was a bit of an empty market the last time I was there...looked like it had seen better days.
 Lonsdale Quay is still busy.  It's a really nice market.

Last night I was treated to dinner at a Beijing style restaurant- with the parents who volunteered at the taekwondo tournament.  The food was delish! Conversation was a bit confusing, because the parents switched back and forth between Cantonese and Mandarin.  I understand Cantonese a tiny bit, and no Mandarin at all.  Funny thing is, the other parents are very kind and encouraging when it comes to my language efforts, but they think I'm the village idiot.  (which is understandable, I guess....if someone understands a bit, but can't speak, and can't read or write...)

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Good morning Lise and Lil.

Weekend ok, except I have developed a tooth ache, which is making me cranky.

So the Westminster Quay is gone.  Too bad....it was once a pretty cool place....although the last time I was there, many of the shops were empty, and the rest all grossly overpriced.

I think being able to speak even a little bit of a second...(third, fourth?) language, is admirable.

Hot Doggy sale went good ?  

Sportsdude

Morning women of DS.  :)

Ya I hear ya Lil me on languages. I think I'm the village idiot with spanish, french, and german, but I can read basic written text, skim news articles and get an idea. lol

bah, I'm really pushing it again. I've got eight hours to research and type up a paper.
Well, at least I'll be finished tomorrow, and I'm the first one that I know of being done.

Lil Me

Aw.  Toothache sucks.  Have a shot of rum and an Advil?

Hot dog sale was good on Sat.  We sold hot dogs, pizza by the slice, drinks, chips, etc and actually made some money for the first time ever- apparently the concession stand usually breaks even or takes a loss because of the large number of volunteers that need to be fed for free.

Was ready to sell Jeckyl for scrap a few hours ago, but we have since resolved our differences.

About an hour ago, there were 8 firefighters outside my door (whoo!) going on a tour of the new construction here in the cul de sac.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Morning.
Finished my last final essay for this term. Best studying place on campus, although by now the building is closed, so I don't know how I'm exactly going to get out. lol

I had my first Red Bull ever. Somehow made it through the day.

P.C.

Aw.  Toothache sucks.  Have a shot of rum and an Advil?

Hot dog sale was good on Sat.  We sold hot dogs, pizza by the slice, drinks, chips, etc and actually made some money for the first time ever- apparently the concession stand usually breaks even or takes a loss because of the large number of volunteers that need to be fed for free.

Was ready to sell Jeckyl for scrap a few hours ago, but we have since resolved our differences.

About an hour ago, there were 8 firefighters outside my door (whoo!) going on a tour of the new construction here in the cul de sac.

This toothache has advanced to a 5 shotter.

Good job on the consession !  

Are you saying that that sweet faced angel could possibly do something wrong.  He's FAR to angelic looking.

So...does the 8 firefighters outside your door have anything to do with Jeckyl's pending sale ?

Gopher

If you soak a small amount of cotton wool in some whisky and then manoeuvre it against the offending fang, you'll find that it deadens the pain for a while. If this doesn't work, follow the same procedure several hundred times and eventually you won't care whether it works or not.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Why don't I just skip the cotton wool.

Gopher

You'll feel far more virtuous if  you do it gradually.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Feeling virtuous isn't high on my priorities ATM.  (at the moment )  Besides....swearing like a trucker has already blown that facade.

|