So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

morning, happy easter!

haha I read on my hometown paper's website U of I is raising tution rates to above 22k a year. gotta love the tution fees, cheaper to go to a private school. So thankful that its cheap here in Canada.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Hi kids!! Didya miss me? Finally have internet connection after 2 weeks. Ack!!! I hate Telus!!!!!! Grrrrrrr....

Did I miss much? Happy belated Easter btw.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Welcome back Lise!
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Van

My weekend was cool. Lots of snow still at the top of Kimberley, slushy at the bottom. But omg, so beautiful there! Nice spot!Purcell Mountains on one side, Rockies on the other, lush forest everywhere. So nice to have one last weekend of good skiing.

Made it home in time to have an excellent supper with my sister and her hubby. Now I am going to stretch my legs and jump in the hot tub.

Hope everyone else's weekend was a blast.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

just got back from an easter party at my finnish prof's house. lol they're a hoot.
I know how to cut a pineapple now. :)

michaelday77

meat loaf and smashed potatos.  
Michael Day

Van

Leftover turkey in a buns with mayo, pickles, salt, pepper...yumm!

Most people get today off? I am only working part of today. To make up for my slacking last week.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

The Dean

Sportsdude wrote:
just got back from an easter party at my finnish prof's house. lol they're a hoot.
I know how to cut a pineapple now. :)

Just a note of caution for sports. Maybe don't use a nationality when you are refering to certain people. Everyone knows what school you go to, it isn't very secure to give out the nationality of your prof. Cruel people on the internet could go out of their way to cause damage.

Lise

Smashed potatoes......? That's a first.

As for SD not mentioning ethnic people, that's like saying don't breath to an asthmatic person. I gave up on him NOT mentioning that there are different types of people living on this earth, how tall he is, how great he is, how much he knows about Canada than the average person etc. etc. etc. around the 1000th time.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

hmm i don't respond well to threats. (the dean)
oh sorry i used a nationality jesus. its how i f*cking tell people apart. means absolutely nothing. Its how I remember names. If people can't cophrend that, that's there own problem.

Lise

Sports - you can usually tell people apart... you just don't have to mention where they come from all the time. I can't speak for the people in my culture but it feels like it's a tad demeaning. Yes, it's great to acknowledge where you come from but I wouldn't go pointing it out all the time.

I don't know.... it just feels uncomfortable when you go about saying stuff like that. (like all the time.....)
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

i understand, its not demeaning at all, it's just how I recognize people, always been this way or I won't remember you're name at all, I have a hard time.  

Lise

Heck, I don't remember people's names all the time but I don't put them into category of where they come from. Personality-wise maybe but never from what countries or culture they come from. All that is secondary compare to how well I get along with that person.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I'm not judging, it's just a mental note of how I remember names along with childhood experiences of how friends called themselves. Everyone was ethnicized. Only people my age do this from where I live, people 5 years younger then me don't or don't even have this outlook. I've explained this before but nobody seems to want to believe me, because it's hard to believe, which is fine. Its hard to believe now that growing up "italians" and "indians" just for an example, hung out together and called themselves "the italians" or "the city kids". They weren't americans they were "italian-americans". the double hyphenation has stuck with me.

Lise

Forgive me for saying thus but I find that's an odd way of remembering people. That kind of thinking... of perceiving people in this way may run the risk of alienating yourself.

As for me, I don't see people based on their skin color or where they come from. I just don't see it. I don't even care if you're from Mars or Jupiter or wherever. I just care about how well we get along. I might be interested in learning about your culture or how you grew up but it's more of me getting to know you as a person rather than where you come from.

That's just me. I guess for some people, it's different way of connecting.
Bill Cosby.

|