So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

nope sorry lil me can't help. :(

Got back from the pool again. Swam 12 laps or 600 metres.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I've fallen into the frozen food trap lately.  You go to the store when you're tired and hungry, and all the frozen entrees look so tasty and instantaneous, and the prices aren't that bad either.  [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dfffbf"]You go home and microwave them, and they just don't deliver on taste, quality, or satisfaction.  (ok- I just realized this sounds like an essay on cheap sex...)[/FONT]

You're hilarious Lil Me.  

A good idea perhaps is to have a cooking weekend.  Involve the kids, and make up your OWN frozen instantaneous meals. That way, you know exactly what's in them.....no more gambling if it's going to taste as good as the picture looks.

I don't know what the menu at your house includes, but whatever it is, make huge batches and freeze them in meal size packages or tupperware.  Pop whatever you need out of the freezer in the morn......come home at the end of the day.....nuke......done.

Spaghetti sauces, stews, chowders.....calzones, casseroles etc.  Just add a salad....or even more instant, some cut up raw veggies to go with, and you're set.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

Thanks for the suggestion, P.C.  I'll have to try it.  I've frozen large batches of things (stew, soup, spag sauce, etc.), but not individual portions.  Guess I need to buy some smaller containers.  Are you secretly a Tupperware lady? :)  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Hahaha....no tuperware lady here.  I don't even own any tupperware (TOO EXPENSIVE).  But they have at the buck stores, the dinner plate size containers, with the 3 compartments...like in the pictures on frozen dinners.  I use them for hubby's lunch.....but I'm sure they would be great for that use.  

I used to use icecube trays for freezing foods when my kids were babies.  Then I'd pop them all into bags.  One sweet potato cube....one peas....one fruit......etc.  worked like a charm and cheaper than dirt and no preservatives.  

Schadenfreude

If you like cooking, I make this on special occasions.

Paella. Put what you like in it. I put live mussels, clams, shrimp, spicy Italian sausage, chicken breast, peppers, tomatos, peas. I think that's all, but you could make any way you like.

Vegetarian, seafood only, yadda, yadda.....
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Sportsdude

Getting ready for the second swim of the day. woot!  

Devil

Good Morning! Sunshine makes a morning so sweet!

cheers!

P.C.

Back atcha Devil......and a beautiful day it is.  I think I may take a cruise by the beach. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/g015.gif" border=0]

Lise

It does look like a nice day, doesn't it. Thinking about the beaches makes me think about Tofino.... *sigh* Miss the sand and surf.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Ahh....you'll be back again some day Lise.

purelife

Hey Lil Me.

I have some suggestions for you.

I like to bake a lot of chicken drumsticks.  So, you could marinate them in whatever you want.  What I do is take a large ziplock bag, place your washed drumsticks inside (as many as you could fit) and then put in your spices in the bag.  I squeeze fresh lemon juice, with chopped parsley and other herbs, and then add my spices, sesame oil or whatever you have.  Shake the bag, refrigerate for a day and then bake them all.  You'll have lots leftover for dinner or lunch and you could turn add the chicken to any side dishes like mashed yams/potatoes/turnips, caesar salad or any salad, steamed veggies, etc.

Another thing that I enjoy making is stir fry beef strips and brocolli with thin rice noodles.  This is simple and verrry delicicious.  You could make your own sauce with soy sauce, sesame oil and sprinkle some sesame seeds.  

Uhm, Costco is also good for buying the prepared meats and packaged gyozas's.  They are the Ling Ling brand and they taste awesome.  

Hope this help give you ideas.  

Lise

A friend of mine bought the Ling Ling's gyoza. OMG. Awesome stuff. You're right.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

woot! Time to pick my classes!  

purelife

What's for lunch?

Sportsdude

chicken nuggets  

|