Hello Kitten

Started by Gopher, Apr 24 06 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

Not to me. ot wasn't.  We didn't have central heating, and my bedroom was two rooms away from the stove.  I had to dress under the covers in the winter.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

Cool. Awesome. You know I'm thinking about moving to St. John's Newfoundland just for the winters. Seriously.

kitten

You should realize that St. John's is on the oceanside.  That means that not only are the winters cold and snowy, but the moisture in the air means that the dampness will penetrate everything you are wearing and chill you to the bone.

Sportsdude

Cool. I like the cold. Makes me feel rugged.  There are a couple things that fascinate me about Canada.

1)Vancouver

2)British Columbia

3)Quebec

4)PEI

5)The Artic

6)Newfoundland

7)Nova Scotia

8)The Prairies

9)The vastness of the country. Canada is taller then it is wider, and since most of the population lives near the U.S. Canadian border that means a lot of open space.

Gopher

I like the snow as well, Sportsdude - the moment it starts to fall I revert to being a child (in my appreciation of it, at least). The types of weather I really loathe are fog, wind and perma-damp.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

You will find all of the above if you go to St. John's, Nfld.

Gopher

In which case, I won't bother!

Sportsdude

I dunno. I read that Newfoundland is just as vast and untouched and open after you leave the island (i think its an island) that St. John's is on.

kitten

Newfoundland and Labrador is the name of the province.  Labrador is on the mainland of Canada, while Newfoundland itself is a large island.  The capital, St. John's, is on the island.  Check a map and you will see just how large a place Newfoundland really is.  The main resource is fishing since much of the island really isn't suited for agriculture.  A lot of Newfoundlanders choose to leave when they become adults, since work is not too plentiful.  It is by far the poorest province in Canada.

Sportsdude

I know all of that. They all move to Alberta. Saw a mini documentary on Newfounders living in Calgary.  Unemployment rates are in the 10% ranges. Mainly due to the moratorium on cod fishing.  All these ships that they are going to build for the navy should only be built in my opinion in St. John's. I know they build them in Halifax but St. John's needs the ships more then Halifax, in my opinion.

Another thing they could do is bring some sort of tech jobs into the area. That would stop the brain drain.

Ship building and tech jobs.

Gopher

Cod fishing is running into problems on both sides of the Atlantic, causing despair all round. Small, hi-tech concerns would be a good but limited answer, otherwise the only immediate solution seems to be to turn all the small fishing towns into 'living museums - somewhat on the theme park idea - and hope that an influx of tourists will bring in the money: at least for a month or so every year.

Sportsdude

How does BC make most of there money? I believe a lot is through tourism. Newfoundland and Labarador can do the same thing. I think I've said on this topic that one of the places that fascinate me is Nld.

Gopher

Hello Kitten and anyone else on line. I'm not in an inspirational mood. Please help!

kitten

Duh!  You're asking me?  I haven't a clue what to talk about today.  I was hoping to follow your lead, O Fount of all Wisdom.

|