Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lil Me

Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman

yet another sequel to the gothic novel Rebecca...and quite entertaining...

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

A boy of Good Breeding- Miriam Toews

hilarious Canadian novel.  Read it, Goph?
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

No. I haven't been able to even start anything for a couple of weeks. I'll have a look for it when I go to the library again.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Got my reading list for 20th Century German Literature and Contemporary German. Freaking awesome.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

What look as though they'll be the highlights?

Sportsdude

Well my prof's list is avoiding the easy topic of World War II. I don't have to read Mein Kampf and that prof's list has All Quiet on the Western Front and I've read 'the trilogy' by Erich Maria Remarque in high school.
Well for the first semester I've got Gerhart Hauptmann, Thomas Mann, Franz Kafka, Georg Kaiser, Robert Walser, Joseph Roth, Bertolt Brecht, Veza Canetti. With movies being Fritz Lang's Metropolis as the stand out movie I know of.  Again the prof aviods Hitler, which is fine. I've seen Triumph of the Will about 3 times (high school and its on IFC every once in a while).

I don't know the second semester authors that well.

Gopher

No Hesse? That's disgusting!

Sportsdude

Nope. That's a glaring admission by all the classes.  

Russ

The Shiva Option

By David Webber and Steve White

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

*sobs*

Just finished The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.

purelife

Lil Me wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]*sobs*[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]Just finished The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.[/div]
It certainly is a tear jerker.  That's funny that you mentioned it because I started reading it again yesterday.  I just love that book.

I read another one of his love story and it was good too.

Lil Me

Plague Ship- Clive Cussler

Exciting book, despite what TB thinks about Clive Cussler...    

Lil Me

burning through the rest of the Nicholas Sparks canon of works.

Bend in the Road
 Love at First Sight
 The Wedding (it's the sequel to The Notebook!!!)

purelife

Ooo... I haven't read the prequel yet.  Lemme know if it's good and if it helps to read it.

At First Sight - I really enjoyed this book.  It has been a while since I read it.

Are ya gonna read Dear John?  

ADD:  I also heard that "True Believer" book is the prequel to At First Sight.  

I really enjoy his books but some are so terribly sad...yet most romantic.

Lil Me - did you watch the movie for Notebook?  

Sorry for all the questions, he's one of my fav authors and I just absolutely love the movie and the book.  

Sportsdude

I have a hankerin to read War and Peace, but I reckon it would take me a century to finish.  

|