Buying Gift Cards

Started by P.C., Nov 26 07 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I'm thinking you might want to think twice about purchasing gift cards or gift certificates this year for Christmas presents.

I just saw on the news that last year, 8 BILLION dollars.....yes....with a B....have not been used.  A great percentage of which will expire without being cashed in.

[TABLE bgColor=#ffffdd border=1] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle colSpan=2][SMALL]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
Please type the text below into this field[/SMALL][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle] [STYLE type=text/css]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/STYLE]  [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD class=at_r1 rowSpan=2]ge[/TD] [TD][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]bug[/TD] [TD]r[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD] [TD][INPUT size=10 value=bugger name=sauce][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

ROFL

[img id=fetchSessionTemp alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/blank.gif"]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

I have lots of gift cards I havent used... somewhere.

I dont even remember the cards I get/got.

The Starfishie has gone through most of my stuff and we are now using the gift cards.. if we can. I dont remember half of them.

I find the best gift cards to give are from the BCL
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Now THERE'S a gift card that won't end up in the back of the file drawer. LOL

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/a063.gif" border=0]

We too are bad for using gift certificates.  I don't even want to think of the amount of things we've not used.

JJ

I refuse to buy gift cards after I found some of them had expiry dates, and others start charge a service charge monthly after a period of time (usually 6 -12 months).  Sorry I'd give cash first!

Lil Me

I buy people gift cards all the time.  If they choose not to use them, that's their business!

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I hear ya Lil Me.....that's a good point.  It IS up to the recipient to use it.  Unfortunately, I get stuck on the notion that I just gave....I mean really just GAVE a store 75 bucks.....(or whatever amount).

I was more than just a little amazed at that figure.  Consumers have given a gift to the stores, in the tune of 8 billion bucks.

lazy Marik

I don't understand. Why would the recipient not use the gift card? There has got to be something that they could make use of. Or at least sell it to someone, give it to a friend, anything but not use it at all!  

P.C.

I don't think they do it on purpose.  I think the key is to use it immediately......otherwise, it goes in a drawer somewhere (for safe keeping) only to be discovered again two days after it expired.

purelife

I agree with you Lil Me.  They're missing out on not using gift cards.  

Sportsdude

everyone in my family seems to just want gift cards, sort of takes the fun of buying out of it. Usually gift cards just were for colleagues.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Usually gift cards just were for colleagues

Since when?

Sportsdude

Well it wasn't really for 'family'. Growing up I only gave out gift cards to people at church, who would give out gift cards to me. Everyone would give the teacher gift cards before the holiday break. 'stocking stuffer'.
Now they've become what everyone just wants because they don't really ask for anything nor want to apparently. So its like "oh you wouldn't know what I'd want so just get me a gift card". Sort of takes the fun out of the whole gift buying process. Its like we all fear rejection of a gift so we 'play it safe' with the gift card.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

i still go with booze for guys and flowers/ chocolates for chicks. Either that or my above BCL gift cards.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

Russmeister, that's very chauvanist of you.  Grrrrrls drink, ya know!  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

I prefer booze over chocolates too!  

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

A 3-legged stool has how many legs?:
Does the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga fly or float?:
Is the equator round or square?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview