The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

Suburban life and bullies never make any sense. I've yet to figure out why kids get marked in elementary school and then spend the rest of their secondary lives getting picked on.  

Bullies and kids getting picked on has what to with suburbs ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Thanks for asking, PC. It's saved me the trouble.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

lol.....Hi Gophie !  

We're either not going to get an answer...or we're going to get an answer wrapped up in a riddle with a dollop of confusion on top.  

Gopher

Shouldn't that be in the So What's For Lunch thread?  

P.C.

I didn't want anyone to choke on it.    

Sportsdude

Has everything to do with the suburbs. The isolation, the trapped feeling of bored kids, drug rates among the pupils will be introduced in middle school and sky rocket in high school. Disassociated youths will join gangs as a way to find an identity in the mundane urban landscape. Parents will stay clueless thinking that the problems of the city don't exist in the utopian world of picket fences. There's nothing for kids to do in the Suburbs. They'll develop risky behaviours, drugs/sex/vandalism/gangs etc.  Also with the suburbs becoming ethno-burbs, you'll invariably see clashes of culture.

Half of my friends are from PoCo, their friends in high school are dead, meth addicts or in a gang. The friends I know from East Van on the other hand never had these experiences.  So called 'bad part of town'.

East Van kids don't get mugged, assaulted and stabbed with a knife as my friends from PoCo have.

I could go on, but I think you'll get the point.

And the counter arguement is 'well in the city there's the drug dealer on the street corner,' well at least you can see that drug dealer, and he's not friends with your son or daughter. In the suburbs, the drug dealer could be playing xbox with your kid in the basement. You've already lost at that point in terms of out of your hands.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Yes, I see what you mean. I was once staying in a very small town in the middle of the sticks, and someone pointed out the local 'den of iniquity' to me - it was just a small patch of grass between a couple of houses! "The young people get up to all sorts of depraved things there," said my guide, "they fornicate, smoke, take drugs and USE LANGUAGE". Which all goes to prove that where there's a will, there's a den of iniquity, be it ever so humble.  

P.C.

Has everything to do with the suburbs. The isolation, the trapped feeling of bored kids, drug rates among the pupils will be introduced in middle school and sky rocket in high school. Disassociated youths will join gangs as a way to find an identity in the mundane urban landscape. Parents will stay clueless thinking that the problems of the city don't exist in the utopian world of picket fences. There's nothing for kids to do in the Suburbs. They'll develop risky behaviours, drugs/sex/vandalism/gangs etc.  Also with the suburbs becoming ethno-burbs, you'll invariably see clashes of culture.

If the kids are bored, you can be sure there are parents close by who are not dedicating enough time to parenting.  The kind that think they can fill a childs room with electronic toys to be entertained with.  If the things that these poor kids are missing out on is hanging around the malls, texting on their gadgets while listening to their ipods, then perhaps they need to broaden their concept of entertainment.  

Gopher

Indeed, whatever happened to marbles and tiddlywinks?  

P.C.

Ah now thats interesting, I wonder if I'm allowed to post that here, but hey I like to live dangerously. Try to stop me DSers.

The "heron" is actually an optical illusion. Seaguls like to stands on the corner of the roof and there's a lightning rod behind them. In the distance, it looks like a heron with his neck streched up.

LOL.  What are you on about.  [/DIV]

Sportsdude

Gopher wrote:
 Yes, I see what you mean. I was once staying in a very small town in the middle of the sticks, and someone pointed out the local 'den of iniquity' to me - it was just a small patch of grass between a couple of houses! "The young people get up to all sorts of depraved things there," said my guide, "they fornicate, smoke, take drugs and USE LANGUAGE". Which all goes to prove that where there's a will, there's a den of iniquity, be it ever so humble.  
---------

Suburbs are the child of the town and country movement. Bringing the rural to the city. So you'll see higher rates of kids never leaving the area (rural), bored (rural), and into drugs (rural, but perceived as an urban problem).

P.C. That's all you can do in the suburbs. There's not much to do. If you don't have a car you're trapped in your subdivision, there's no parks etc. Playing sports is only on a team level which means parent supervised, not random pick up games etc. The drug dealers are your friends and not the older guy on the street.

When you get a car, you drive everywhere mainly do to bored. After about 5 or 6 times to a mall you've seen them all for the black hole's that they are to society. If you hang out in malls, you start stealing and getting into fights. If you just go and get back in the car 20mins later, you drive around aimlessly for hours thinking of what to do.

Then the popular kids get drugs involved as they use the lower class kids for drug contacts/mules. This route ends up with DUI's at 17 and always in community college after 10yrs.

The bored kids driving around go to university. They end up doing things like driving really fast and trying to push the limits on rally racing on winding roads because its something exciting in the burbs. Going to malls and squirting people with squirt guns in drive bys, wanting to get in car chases with drunks at the bar, picking locks and stealing stuff in Victoria and so on, playing poker. The parents don't care or know, these parents just care about homework being done, and when its done at 7pm, what else is there.

Or you just watch tv.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|