So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Russ

P.C. wrote:
  (thought I'd take this out of the person below me thread)

Russ, are you using a deep fryer?

If you are, chances are it's not getting hot enough.  We have had 2, and niether got hot enough.  The temperature setting SAYS it's hot enough, but it's not.

If your food takes too long to cook, it's greasy.

You should use either peanut oil or canola or veg oil.  Anything else has too low of a smoking point.

Your food should be dry and at room temperature before putting in oil.

Don't over-crowd your pot.  Takes the temperature down too low, too long.

If you don't have an oil thermometer, cut a 1"cube of bread and throw it in.  It should bubble and brown within 30 to 45 seconds.

How'my doin.  Did I answer ANY of the questions you had....lol

Actually you did! How do you 'know' when its cooked though?

Thanks PC :)
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

$13.00 for a pizza you have to bake yourself is expensive but it's not something I do all the time. No wonder the place was dead. The only cheaper deal is the pepperoni pizza for $6.00.

49er - I did pick the garlic chicken but had to opt for the red sauce because hubby said no creamo.

I think Ally would shake her head here too hearing the price differences between the USD and Cdn. It's worst when you're in Brit-Land.

Thanks for the cooking tip there, Ms PC. I bet you must have a real nice kitchen with all the gadgets in sight.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I suppose it would be a good idea to know what you're cooking before I answered that.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

How about say fish n chips?

Note to purelife: cute kat!!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

That cat is supposed to bob its head back and forth.  Going to change my avatar to my one and only. ;)

Lise

Bill Cosby.

Russ

[TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top align=middle] [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=502] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle width="100%"][A name=ebayphotohosting][/A]
[img]http://g2images.auctionwagon.com/icansellonline/G2SM26a53a04-0f25-4501-8e2e-b58c9867b86f-5231.jpg" name=eBayBig][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

This is the deepfryer I have. Not with teh destruction book thats pictured though. I want to do fries and chicken.

I was thinking about throwing some shrimp in as well.

purelife

Yup, the one and only Ms.  Jolie.  This lunch thread needs more of Jolie, n'est pas?

I'd like to think that one day, I can look as pretty as Miss Jolie.  ;)  hee hee... one day.

Russ

I jsut picked up on the fact you changed your Avatar to AJ... sorry though I can only bless you once an hour.

purelife

I take that you're a fan of the lovely AJ?!

P.C.

If I was doing fried chicken, I wouldn't use a deep fryer.  I would use a good old seasoned iron skillet preferable with a lid.  Fried chicken is fried in 1/2" of oil.  Deep fried usually scorches the batter before the chicken is cooked through and if you lower the temp so that the batter browns slower, then it gets too greasy.  Also you absolutely can't get a crisp on anything if the oil isn't hot enough.  Kind of a catch 22.

For fries (perfect fries) [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Frying twice ensures crisp-textured French fries that retain their crunch for a longer period of time.[/FONT]

[DL] [DT][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]6 medium russet potatoes[/FONT]    [DT][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Canola, peanut or vegetable oil[/FONT]    [DT][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Salt to taste[/FONT] [/DT][/DL] Deep Fryer.

[FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Peel potatoes. Cut each in 3/4-inch slices. Stack slices[/FONT] [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]and cut into 3/4-inch sticks. Place in a bowl of ice water[/FONT] [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]to soak for 30 minutes. (Soaking removes starch, so that[/FONT] [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]potatoes will be crisp when deep fried)[/FONT]

[OL] [LI][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Heat oil to 325*F  in deep fryer.[/FONT]    [LI][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Drain potatoes and pat dry thoroughly using paper towels. [/FONT][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Any excess water will splatter when they are added to[/FONT] [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]the hot oil.[/FONT]    [LI][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Dip frying basket in oil (this prevents the potatoes from[/FONT] [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]sticking to it), then add a handful of potatoes into[/FONT] [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]basket. Lower into oil and par-fry for 3 minutes or until potatoes are tender, but not browned.[/FONT] [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Lift basket and allow potatoes to drain. Turn out onto a[/FONT] [FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]brown paper bag lined with paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining potatoes.[/FONT]    [LI][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Increase the temperature of the heated oil to 375*F [/FONT] [LI][FONT color=#000000 pGlpJ="0" uKHI0="0"]Return the par-fried potatoes to the oil in batches and cook a second time for 4 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on a fresh brown paper bag lined with paper towels. Salt to taste as soon as they come out of the frier and serve hot.[/FONT] [/LI][/OL]    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Hey Ms. PC.... how is cleaning the fryer? That's one of the many reason why I don't have one is the clean-up and the amount of oil one has to use.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Wow! Thanks PC... Hmm, I will be finding out if we are doing this tonight soon I guess, lol.

Lise

Psst, Russ. Deep fry a sardine!! I dare ya!!!
Bill Cosby.

purelife

LOL Lise.  That oughta be interesting!  Hey Russ, deep fry an avocado!

|