So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Michel

Sportsdude

Which architecture? UBC or Vancouver?

I'm the only person I know who likes Modernism, so I love the campus, much to the dismay of my neo-liberal, post-modern, yaletown loving hipster colleagues.

When it comes to Vancouver, I'm the guy who shouts back at the person who says Vancouver doesn't have any old buildings or history.

I'm the last one left on campus, buddy is graduating and moving back to Paris. I have to swat at the system of flakes alone now.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Funny thing SD is that just a few months ago you were in admiration of that shitty totally unharmonious with its surroundings architecture... if this was the only thing wrong with that place...

lol.

A couple years ago, SD couldn't find anything wrong with Vancouver.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
[em]Funny thing SD is that just a few months ago you were in admiration of that shitty totally unharmonious with its surroundings architecture... if this was the only thing wrong with that place...[/em]

lol.

A couple years ago, SD couldn't find anything wrong with Vancouver.

Please Vancouver is the most messed up city I've ever seen, why else would I move here. Although I need something more crazier.

Oh and in post-secondary education in Canada the schools are driven to knock the country at any minute. Its in every profs lesson plan.

P.C.

That makes me sad.

It seems to me, that the majority of people who hate on Vancouver are from somewhere else.

Sportsdude

No the local young people hate it too. They either want to go to Europe, Asia, or move to the Island as its a place they never have spent much time in (or poli sci kids looking for jobs in Victoria). Majority of my friends though are Euro bound, with one going to S.Korea to teach English. lol

I don't know anybody my age who likes the city. They all want to leave, got tired of the bubble, meta-isolation feeling. This is a city where you can get lost in for years and never leave. Then it doesn't help when people like Michael Geller keep telling me to leave and come back in your 30s/40s/50s. Oh snap, I name dropped.

P.C.

No the local young people hate it too. They either want to go to Europe, Asia, or move to the Island as its a place they never have spent much time in (or poli sci kids looking for jobs in Victoria). Majority of my friends though are Euro bound, with one going to S.Korea to teach English. lol

Well I hope they do.  I think the more people who hate Vancouver that leave, will put us one step closer to the old Vancouver.  

Sportsdude

Sorry sportsdude....I accidently posted over your post.  The following is my response to your post, which is missing here.     I need a vacation.

The 'old' Vancouver I grew up in.  

I guess I'll just never understand how people who hate the city they live in,  choose to remain and complain.  I say to them, if you don't like it, go away...and take yer negative aura with you.  How can a city full of haters flourish.

P.C.

CRAP !  I DID IT AGAIN !  I hit 'modify' instead of 'reply'.  DAMN.

So sorry Sportsdude. (could ya repost ?)

Sportsdude

haha.

Cuz haters and negative types are strong idealists of a better world is possible and they don't know when to quit. They're negativity stems for the strong urge and desire to make the community a better place to live in. Happy and content means there's nothing to fix or make better....

Sportsdude

I went back its lost in the dust bin of the series of tubes. lol

I think it was about the lady in the 70s worried that the house she has fought to keep alive is going to be torn down after she dies as its zoned for apartments, even though its historical.

P.C.

Jeeez....I almost did it again.

Cuz haters and negative types are strong idealists of a better world is possible and they don't know when to quit. They're negativity stems for the strong urge and desire to make the community a better place to live in. Happy and content means there's nothing to fix or make better....

That's a good point.  But wouldn't they be better to study what works...what does make people happy and content ?  

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
Jeeez....I almost did it again.

[em]Cuz haters and negative types are strong idealists of a better world is possible and they don't know when to quit. They're negativity stems for the strong urge and desire to make the community a better place to live in. Happy and content means there's nothing to fix or make better....[/em]

That's a good point.  But wouldn't they be better to study what works...what does make people happy and content ?  

Well I try to study what works (but the number one rule in anything development is that there's no real right answer), then I get all excited thinking 'okay this works, there's got to be someone out there in power who is seeing what I'm seeing' then I do research and realize nobody has came to same conclusion as I have, then I get more discouraged and lost in my own sea of thoughts. lol

Nothing really makes people happy and content, I think its just restlessness, restlessness, restlessness, and then when you reach a certain age you give up and accept the world for what it is.

P.C.

Nothing really makes people happy and content, I think its just restlessness, restlessness, restlessness, and then when you reach a certain age you give up and accept the world for what it is.

I guess that's the thing...except, I didn't wait for a certain age.  I think I accepted the world for what it is, better when I was younger.  And when I decided the city wasn't what made me content any more....I moved.  It all seems so simple in my mind.

Sportsdude

haha I go back and forth

I realized I can't spend too long in one place about around 16 or so. The goal was to make this 'home' and then go out run around the world and then eventually come back to the Pacific Northwest at a later date. Apparently nobody back 'home' understands this logic (except parents and sis).

|