So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

That's true purelife.  The problem with products falling apart within months after the warranty expires is that they are knowingly producing inferior products at premium prices.  I wouldn't have as big an issure if it were a 4 or 5 hundred dollar tv.....but jeeezzz.   When I told the guy that my mom and dads tv, which is almost 60 years old, still works, he said...'technology has come a long way since then'.  Sounded like a contradictory analogy to me.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Lil Me

Sucks how everything is designed to "break down" after a certain time frame.

Meanwhile, I heard a rumour that there are still some "original" light bulbs on the leg assembly buildings in Victoria...still going strong. The don't crap out after 120hrs.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Van

Its like printers. It is cheaper to buy a new printer than to replace cartridges. Sad!!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Lil Me

I'm wondering about the $15 watch battery that I've been buying every year for almost 10yrs...for a lousy $40 Timex watch.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

That's true Lil Me.  There is no doubt in my mind that things CAN be manufactured to last 10's of times longer than they do.....it just wouldn't be profitable.  For a small example, toasters and small appliances that my parents owned still work perfectly.  How can this be?.... if technology has come so far, they must be overlooking a key element in new design.  

Lil Me

Yesh...I also think that consumer goods cost more in those days-- even in relative dollars...because it was an investment.  You kept the same couch, toaster, kettle, fridge, vacuum cleaner...for your entire life.
  (you didn't change colours every couple of years!!!)

P.C.

Yesh...I also think that consumer goods cost more in those days-- even in relative dollars...because it was an investment.  You kept the same couch, toaster, kettle, fridge, vacuum cleaner...for your entire life.
  (you didn't change colours every couple of years!!!)

That's because we're a flakier bunch.  We've allowed designers and movie stars to dictate what our home and style should be.  And wasteful ?.....my parents must turn in their graves at what we throw away.

purelife

For sure Van!  Some printers make it manditory to replace the color ink in order to have the black ink work.  Those were frustrating times.  

purelife

$15 watch battery?!!  HOLY MOLY!  

I find that the older products that we had when we were younger work 10times better than the ones out there today.   It's a $ grabbing scheme!

Lil Me

and...like...i want towels in lots of colors...to match my shoes...and...a toaster to match...  

Van

I have a TV in my bedroom that was from the early 80s, a hand-me-down from my folks. It still works like new. The LCD in my living room will die before the 80s one will.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

[FONT size=4]SO WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT ???[/FONT]

Van

about the TV in my bedroom..well...I am kind of bashfull about that but...I like to umm...

Oh! You are talking about consumers in general!! I think we are in trouble.

purelife

|