The Greatest Human Attribute

Started by Adam_Fulford, Apr 04 06 02:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_Fulford

[A href="http://home.rotfl.org/me/r_dahl/r_dahl.html"][FONT color=#0000ff]Great Author Roald Dahl on [/FONT][FONT color=#0000ff]What is the Best Attribute a Person Can Have[/FONT][/A]

ROALD DAHL: I think probably kindness is my number one attribute in a human being. I'll put it before any of the things like courage or bravery or generosity or anything else.

BRIAN SIBLEY: Or brains even?

ROALD DAHL: Oh gosh, yes, brains is one of the least. You can be a lovely person without brains, absolutely lovely. Kindness -- that simple word. To be kind -- it covers everything, to my mind. If you're kind that's it.

Trollio

Another quote from Roald Dahl:

"There's a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity . . . I mean there is always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn't just pick on them for no reason."

Yeah. Great author alright.  
one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

TehBorken

Another quote from Roald Dahl:

"There's a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity . . . I mean there is always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere;

[/b]Yeah, and the reason is that a lot of people are f*cked-up, bigotted nutjobs. I notice he doesn't say that the reason black people got lynched was because of some "trait in the negro character".  That's ridiculous- it's like saying that motorcycle helmets cause accidents.

even a stinker like Hitler didn't just pick on them for no reason."

A "stinker"? Wow, Ronald Dahl really let Hitler have it with both barrels there. Wow, what extrordinary villification- he calls a dictator and mass murderer a "stinker".

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

tenkani

I was going to say something, but you just said it for me.

BTW, Stalin was a real horse's ass.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

tenkani wrote:
 I was going to say something, but you just said it for me.

BTW, Stalin was a real horse's ass.[/DIV]
 That bitch Stalin gave my grandmother black lung disease because she was in the Stalingrad concentration camp after the war.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

weird al

- 'A "stinker"? Wow, Ronald Dahl really let Hitler have it with both barrels there. Wow, what extrordinary villification- he calls a dictator and mass murderer a "stinker". '

...praising him with faint damns.  

tenkani

"praising him with faint damns."  
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Trollio

Sportsdude wrote:

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 127);"]Arguably the most genuine use that man has ever been to the Russian people.[/span]

— bebu

Adam_Fulford

Roald Dahl flew fighter planes for the Royal Air Force on missions against the Nazis, shooting down Nazi planes, got hit once, landing for six months in the hospital, then flew more missions against the Nazis.  If action speaks louder than words...    

TehBorken

Adam_Fulford wrote:
  Roald Dahl flew fighter planes for the Royal Air Force on missions against the Nazis, shooting down Nazi planes, got hit once, landing for six months in the hospital, then flew more missions against the Nazis.  If action speaks louder than words...

Frankly, his words speak pretty loudly all on their own.

Lots of people fought Nazis and still found the time to hate jews or blacks or whatever. I'm all for his shooting down Nazis, but his own words show another side of him that doesn't go down well with me. Blaming victims for what happens to them doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Basically what he's saying is that "it's the jews fault" that the Nazis forced 6 million of them into gas chanbers. Do you really agree with that?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Adam_Fulford

In the context of the great works he's produced and the messages he's conveyed, those words are a stinking extract, but not typical Roald Dahl, a writer of many literary masterpieces with loving messages.  Sadly, such attitudes are a reflection of his time more than of him.  You can find equally disturbing quotes from almost every great writers of past generations, be it William Shakespeare, Hellen Keller, Joseph Conrad, or O. Henry.  That's just the ugly truth.

I am grateful that great writer of loving literary masterpieces, Roald Dahl, risked his life and bravely fought against the vile and evil Nazis who brutally wiped out entire branches of my Jewish relatives in Germany, whatever words he may have carelessly uttered in an off moment.  Action makes a difference.  A vast difference. Action, not carefully enunciated politically-correct words (worthy as such words may be), action defeated Hitler and the Nazis.  With his action, as a fighter pilot, Roald Dahl contibuted greatly to defeating the Nazis, shooting down Nazi planes at great risk to his life.  That means more to me than a few carelessly uttered words.

Trollio

Good Lord, man, it was more than a few words. He nearly made a vocation out of his anti-Semitism. Do a bit of research. It's certainly no secret.

So he flew with the RAF. That was far more about the defence of Britain than concern over what the Nazis were doing to the Jews.

Wagner wrote some fine pieces of music. Ezra Pound was one of the most innovative poets of the 20th century.

They would both have you killed or otherwise persecuted in a heartbeat given the opportunity. That's the tragedy of it all.

I remember the day I found out about Dahl. I literally felt sick.

— bebu

Adam_Fulford

Roald Dahl was not anti-Semitic.  He disagreed with Israeli policies.  Calling him anti-Semitic because he disagreed with Israeli policy is like calling someone who disagrees with Bush's policies anti-American.   In fact, more disagreement of Israeli policy is tolerated within Israel than in the United States.  Making that one extreme characterization about Dahl based on one sloppy comment, is like making an extreme assumption about someone if they make a half-baked comment about "Americans."  Dahl's one comment was stupid, as he later admitted himself.  Most people say silly things sometimes.

Adam_Fulford

For the record, my personal position is that Israel has to defend itself.  I believe that countries surrounding Israel benefit from the Palestinian issue, and deliberately exacerbate the situation and  fan the fires of hatred so they can exploit it to garner domestic support and divert attention their own corruption and brutality.