Pictures Only Please!

Started by kits, Feb 09 06 02:47

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

[A href="http://www.walocaust.com/site/"]http://www.walocaust.com/site/[/A]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

Shit, if he's stupid enough to start a business using a visual theme that close to Walmart's the dumb ass deserves to be sued. Sorry, I know that sounds harsh, but what did he expect??
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Quenyar

[!-- Begin Summary --]Among the most discreditable practices is "Astroturfing" - a process where a group pays people to create a fake grass-roots movement for or against something. The good folk at Wal-Mart are currently trying to reinvent blogging, transforming it from a free method of information exchange into more advertising. [/p][!-- End Summary --][!-- Begin Body --]What ever happened to honesty? Wasn't it the case, not very long ago, that most people were pretty honest? Of course the meaning of being honest has changed subtly in the past few decades, too, so it's pretty hard to tell. It use to be that if an ordinary person went into a store and was lied to (and found out about it), they'd avoid that store and tell all their friends to avoid that store. Honest people didn't tell lies and didn't put up with people who did. They certainly did not favor them with their custom.[/p]You tell some friend these days that XYZ store lied to you and they're apt to say, "so what?" or "yea, everybody does that" or "but they've got the lowest prices." People have gotten conditioned to being treated like criminals - being scanned at every exit and watched by a thousand cameras. If all the customers are crooks, why should you be surprised when all the store employees are dishonest, too?[/p]The most recent example of systematic dishonesty I've come across is the brainchild of the people who do PR for Wal-Mart. They've discovered the Internet and they've figured out that many people go online and look up other people's opinions about products, stores, and social issues. Some of these opinions are available on consumer assistance sites, while most of the rest appear on an ever increasing landscape of blogs. Most blogs are web sites that contain some person or some group's views, together with public responses to those views. Some are very specifically directed toward something specific, while others pride themselves in ranging all over the cosmos. The PR folks at Wal-Mart are paying people, lots of people, to voice opinions on these blog sites - not their own opinions, naturally, but the corporate opinions of the Wal-Mart leadership.[/p]Go out to any public blog and post something bad about Wal-Mart. True or not, in a few hours or days, you'll find that this opinion has been found and that many people, apparently, disagree. Some people might honestly disagree, but it is impossible to distinguish these actual people from the fakes from Wal-Mart. There is a term for this: astroturfing, which is the attempt to make a fake grass-roots movement for or against something.[/p]Paying people to pretend to support an idea or cause and to argue on its behalf is dishonest. Paying them to also keep the fact that they were paid advocates a secret is also dishonest and ought to be illegal.[/p]Previous to this, there have been other PR shell games, where people were paid to engage other shoppers (or other PR shills) in apparently spontaneous and genuine conversations about products or politics in an effort to influence everyone who heard the conversation. This was proven to be an effective selling technique, when done properly, but it was expensive and tended to read only very small groups. It was also dangerous for the PR folk, who would be attacked by their intended victims whenever they were unmasked.[/p]But through blogspace on the Internet, one clever liar can reach millions of potential shoppers. We've gotten so used to being lied to in advertising. Now companies like Wal-Mart are threatening to pollute a global resource that is of tremendous value to billions of people all over the earth and turn it into another liars carnival.[/p]I don't shop at Wal-Mart for many reasons. This is just one more in a long line of dishonest, depraved, and indecent things Wal-Mart is doing in my world. I wouldn't go in a Wal-Mart for free beer. No honest person should confer their blessings on Wal-Mart's atrocious behavior by spending their money there.[/p][!-- End Body --]

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
Shit, if he's stupid enough to start a business using a visual theme that close to Walmart's the dumb ass deserves to be sued. Sorry, I know that sounds harsh, but what did he expect??

I don't know...satire and parody are protected forms of speech, so I believe that technically he is within his rights to do  this.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

tenkani

That's why I asked whether it was just a parody or whether it's a business. Satire and parody are fine, except when it comes to branding your business. Legally he's going to be screwed.

A woman opened a coffee shop called SamBucks (her name is Samantha). She thought it was a funny play on Starbucks. Starbucks, and the courts, didn't agree.

I don't think he's got a legal leg to stand on. Free speech laws don't apply in the same way when it comes to picking the name and logo of your business.

kits

Free speach is very different from copyright and tradmark laws.  This guy has nothing legaly backing him.

A friend of our family had a company callled "Blue Jay Systems" and the logo was the head of a Blue Jay.  Even though the logo beared no real esemblance to the Toronto Blue Jay's logo, he was eventually forcedto not only change the logo, but to also change the name.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

TehBorken

tenkani wrote: A woman opened a coffee shop called SamBucks (her name is Samantha). She thought it was a funny play on Starbucks. Starbucks, and the courts, didn't agree.

Yep, I heard about that. Or, just try and start a business with the word "Olympic" in it. The good ol' Olympic marketing group will shut you down in a heartbeat.
[/div][div] [/div][div style="font-style: italic;"]I don't think he's got a legal leg to stand on. Free speech laws don't apply in the same way when it comes to picking the name and logo of your business.
I know. That's why I said "technically", lol.  I doubt he'll be able to withstand the army of lawyers from Wal-ocaust, err, I mean Walmart.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

weird al

[SPAN class=smalltext]When given notice of a trademark-infringement lawsuit from Starbucks, the owners of HaidaBucks café refused to back down. Instead, they launched a massive Web campaign, enlisted high-profile legal help and argued successfully that 'bucks' is a term akin to 'dude' that young native men use among themselves. (photo by John Lehmann/The Globe and Mail)[/SPAN][/DIV][SPAN class=smalltext][/SPAN]

P.C.

I've often wondered how that Chrisco comapany managed to use that name.  It's that company where you send a monthly payment, and they send you a food hamper at Christmas.  Well I thought it would be a neat gift for someone in need, and went online to find out how to arrange that.  I COULDN'T find it, which I thought was weird, because their commercials are all over the place.

I was looking under Crisco, thinking it was affiliated with them.....wrong.  So how do they get away with that?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

tenkani

Weird Al, good counter example.

I think the difference is that Haida Bucks is two seperate words. Also, their logo looks nothing like Starbuck's, whereas the Sambucks logo did look similar, as does the Walorcaust logo.

So, with Haida Bucks, I think they were able to make the argument that it really isn't that similar, and it wasn't intended to be similar. With Sambucks and Walorcaust, they are obvious parodies.

perpetual

tenkani

OMFG, you're violating my copyright!!!11

Sportsdude

Sportsdude

news hound

[/DIV]cheer up emo dog!

|