The Ebony Lounge

Started by P.C., Mar 27 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kitten

Good to know I have some influence!  lol  What is Boboti?
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

P.C.

It's a South African dish (lol....should we discuss this in the Ebony Lounge?). with beef and raisins, apple, curry and turmeric and almonds (and a bunch of other stuff)  Then it's topped with an egg and milk custardy topping.  That's where I put in my own twist.  I'm not fond of the custardy topping, so I substitute pastry....like a meat pie.

I had it at a wedding YEARS ago, and then spent another 5 years trying to find out what it was because I liked it so much.  I found out what it was in the most unusual way.  I was chatting with a gal in the washroom in a restaurant in Mexico, and somehow it came up.  She recommended a dish on the menu and said it was like Boboti.......she explained, and I said THAT'S IT.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

Hey !   My little 'go to' arrows aren't there beside the topics ??????

kitten

It seems very appropriate.  It fits in with the whole black experience on this forum.  LOL

That sounds extremely complicated, but interesting.  The original topping sounds sort of strange combined with the other ingredients thatyou listed.  The pastry would be more appealing.

Naturally if it is a South African dish, you would have to find it in  Mexico.   Strange, isn't it, where you will find things.  They turn up when you aren't looking for them, and in the last place you would expect to find them.

So did she give you the recipe or did you find it on the Internet?  

P.C.

I came home and search the web.  It's one of those traditional dishes that had way more variations than I was expecting.  So I read through about 50 different recipes until I found one that sounded like what I ate....lol.  I also discovered I was saying it wrong.....it's like Bow-BOATIE and I was asking everyone who I thought might know for BOB-auty.....rofl.  Whow knew?

kitten

I'm not surprised.  Unless you know the pronunciation of the alphabet of the country, you are more than likely to pronounce it in an English way.

P.C.

Hubby didn't get home until just before 8......so it's a dish that's good to sit and wait.

I feel so tired tonight it almost hurts.  What's with that? (and yet I don't feel like sleeping yet....what's with THAT?)

kitten

It's nice to have a meal that will wait instead of going bad with any delay.

First of all, I don't think you have been sleeping too well the last couple of days, and secondly you're probably worried about bad dreams tonight.

Do you have anything that will help you get to sleep?  For instance, a nice shot of brandy?  It might mellow you enough to get some rest.

kitten

My deepest apologies, but I must get some sleep.  I'm completely wiped tonight.  It felt like I was tearing around in all directions today, and now it's time to pay for it.

Pleasant dreams, P.C. and Sportsdude.  Chat tomorrow.

P.C.

I'm thinking that's a splendid idea.  I also think you're correct.  

Hmmmm....let's see what's in stock at the Ebony Lounge.  A wee whiff of Dr. McGillicuddy's Fireball may do the trick.  

P.C.

Good night Kitten.....sweet dreams.

kitten

Now there's a splendid idea!   Enjoy in good health.  [A href="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824DFCA" target=_blank][img alt=Cheers src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_125.gif[/img][/A]

[A href="http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb113_ZNxdm824DFCA&utm_id=7921" target=_blank][img]http://discoverseattle.net/source/spacer.gif?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZNxdm824DFCA" border=0][/A]

Sportsdude

lol I'm too excited over the game to go to sleep and I've got habitat tomorrow. lol
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Sounds like you had a GREAT time Sportsdude.  

Aaaaa....you'll take all that energy, and build 3 houses tomorrow !!!

Sportsdude

LOL! Yeah if I ever get my voice back. I was the only happy one except for the 10 other canuck fans among 10,000 people lol ran into Canuck fans in the parking garage and was like C-A-N-U-C-K-S and they were like CANUCKS!!! Oh it was great, next time I'm bringing my flag lol! I'm not even Canadian yet and I was already told to go back to Canada LOL!!!!!
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|