The Ebony Lounge

Started by P.C., Mar 27 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

Put together a glass tv stand, oh it took all day but its great now that I don't have the tv on the floor anymore.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Glass ???? Wow.  Sounds like you'd best stock up on the Windex.  Sounds nice sportsdude.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

well its glass shelves, but cool none of the less. I like it.

P.C.

Sounds VERY cool, sportsdude. (it's always fun to add something new to a room)

Have you decided on a direction for your essay ???

Sportsdude

No. People keep telling me to sell your self like saying where you are going in your life. But if I do something like that I don't think saying you will be president or something to that equivalent who brings universal health care, make spanish and english the offical languages, abolishes the death penalty, creates a seperation between church and state, legalises pot, gets rid of the 21 drinking age and turns it back to the states, stops the fcc from censoring the television networks and radio, liberalizing the movie rating system and tv ratings so they put more of an emphasis on violence instead of sex. Move the U.S. out of Middle East, stop giving weapons and weapon money to Isreal and Palestine, get rid of the embargo against Cuba, be the first president to visit Cuba. Have curbs on excessive businesses like wal-mart, walgreens, etc.  

Basically if I spoke my mind I would either come off a cocky s.o.b., a crazy man, or somebody going somewhere.

P.C.

I'm thinking they're looking to get a glimpse of your true self.  One can be great in whatever field they choose, if they have vision and stay true to themselves. I don't think they'd be looking for the 'I can be anything I choose to be' kind of fantasy. You're heading towards the REAL world, with REAL goals. I'd bet they're looking more for your actual dreams, and how you plan to get there, and what drove you in this direction.

You have a vision.....write about THAT.  The best essay would contain your hopes and dreams, and where you really plan to be in 10 years, and the paths you will choose to get there. One would see through the 'I can be president' delusion in a heartbeat.  It's far more interesting to read about the reality of where you plan to go.  

It's no different than the grade school essays of 'How I spent my Summer Vacation'.  I always believed they were not looking for a geographical point on the atlas. What did you see, what did you learn, how did it affect your life......a more abstract approach to a boring question. THAT'S interesting reading.

Sportsdude

Well I know I have to go that route because one freshman said something about an event in your life that changed your perspective on things. The problem with that is I have way to many dark times in my life and it would be like me asking for sympathy, which I do not want. The best idea I've come up so far with is the racism in my town that I talk about that is so obvious but know one seems to care about it or acts like it doesn't exist. But then I'd sound to preachy but its the only shot where I know I can say something that really can stick.

P.C.

I think it's more simple than that, sportsdude.  What DO you want to do with your life.  What exactly would you be persuing in your education to achieve ?  Not what COULD you do.....not what would be NOBLE to do......what do YOU REALLY want to do ?

I'm thinking I'd steer clear of your 'darkside', unless it was something that actually triggered your goals in some way.  (does that make sense ?)

P.C.

Well, sportsdude......sleep is taking over here.  Love to chat some more, but losing focus.

(If you ever want to bounce some ideas off me via PM, feel free to do so).  I'm surely no expert, but sometimes an extra ear never hurts.  

Sportsdude

Thats my problem, I don't know what to do with my life. I keep hearing whispers in my head (See prayer won't heal you thread) to go into politics or some kind of journalism or lawyer. But I've kept resisting until know. Like for example I don't know how I've collected all this knowledge on world events, politics, and lawyer speak.. It just happend. How do you tell somebody that you want to this and this but you don't know why you do?

Problem with me is I have this pre-ordianed outlook on life. Like if I DON'T go into Politics, some kind of political journalism my life will be deamed a failure. I've always considered myself white collar thinking, blue collar lifestyle. Like becoming a truck driver to me would be a waste of my time and life and I could never live with myself again. Did you ever have that problem?  

P.C.

I guess what they're looking for to fill their classroom, are people who have chosen their direction.  How can one choose their courses if they don't know where they're going yet.  

LOL, sportsdude....I still sometimes say I don't really know what I want to do when I grow up.

I'm really off to bed this time.....goodnight sd.

Sportsdude

goodnight.

bonne nuit.

Sportsdude

P.C.

Hey sportsdude.....it's been a while....have been a little pre-occupied.....so HEY BACK (many days later)

FC.....haven't seen you about so much, and nadda from PF.  That little IPOD's got you hooked....LOL

Future Canadian

P.C. wrote:
That little IPOD's got you hooked....LOL

Yup. That and working 50 hours a week. PF's orbiting away from the computer for a while. Myself, I really want to get to that Hero status, so I'm posting and working right now (more menu stuff).

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

|