freezing temp 32 degrees
boiling temp 212? degrees
how many oz in a lb ??

m in km 1000 (kilo = 1000)
frrezing temp = 0.00000
boiling temp = 100.0000
how many grams in a kg = 1000

sooooooooo much easier

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:
Evening!  I'm drinking a really dusty bottle of Cinzano (on the rocks with tonic water).  It must be from the '60s or '70s.  No bar code, there's an old LDB price tag on the cap.  $3.70 for a 1L bottle.  There's French and English on the label, and there's metric and imperial.  So it might be from the '70s?
It's a relic from mom and dad's house when they moved.

Singing

my eyes are dim i can not see ...

P.C.

When I go to the butcher, I always ask for 3 kilometers of beef....and when I go to the fabric store, I ask for 6 litres of silk.  I hate it.

5280 feet  and 1760 yards in a mile.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I would have been good at math if the US had the metric system.
Instead we were taught two different systems everyday and it was confusing.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I think it's only easier, if you are not trying to convert.  Even though I know that there are only about 3ish more inches in a meter than in a yard....my mind won't let me visualize this.  And as for cooking.....can't do it.  I thought if I bought metric measuring devices, and followed a metric recipe....what could be a problem.  Well, the problem is, that I have no feel for what I'm doing when I use this foreign method.  

I wonder why lumber and flooring etc is still holding out.  You still buy lumber by a board food.  I like buying lumber.

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]When I go to the butcher, I always ask for 3 kilometers of beef....and when I go to the fabric store, I ask for 6 litres of silk.  I hate it.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] 5280 feet  and 1760 yards in a mile.

3km beef is nice and tender - cow that has only walked a short distance - like kobe beef.

we buy silk by the liter all the time - milk allergies

how many inches in a mile????
there are 100000 cm in a km. (and yes i figured that out in my head!!)

van_guy

I wonder why lumber and flooring etc is still holding out.  You still buy lumber by a board food.  I like buying lumber.

Yeah almost all lumber is still in the british system.I think there was toooooo much opposition in that industry.

P.C.

We woodworkers are a stubborn lot.

Sportsdude

van_guy wrote:

Yeah almost all lumber is still in the british system.I think there was toooooo much opposition in that industry.

obviously the commission wasn't forceful enough, drag them kicking and screaming, tough luck, deal with it, no surrender attitude.

I mean the government did that with the 1 and 2 dollar coins, why did they give in on the metric system? Mulroney.

P.C.

obviously the commission wasn't forceful enough, drag them kicking and screaming, tough luck, deal with it, no surrender attitude.

Why ?  

van_guy

never because the metric system was developed by a french guy.

but when USA was born didn't you have a bit of a "spat" with the British and yet you used their pound, foot, mile system back then...

Now - sure you have a "thing" with the French (freedom fries etc...) but isn't it time to bury the hatchet?  (They were right about Iraq you know) and Vietnam was a long time ago... and the Vietnamese had kicked the French's a$$ a couple of times already...

P.C.

When your product is designed for a particular industry, measurements must be presented in units that are familiar to the user.

The aviation industry also still uses miles instead of kilometers.

Many countries have more than one measurement system in daily usage.

In the United Kingdom, weights are shown in kilograms, but road signs continue to show distances in miles.

Canada is officially metric, but imperial measures continue to be used in such industries as the lumber industry.

van_guy

Many countries have more than one measurement system in daily usage.

According to the US CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the official system of measurement for all nations except for [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma" title="Burma"]Myanmar[/a], [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia" title="Liberia"]Liberia[/a] and the [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States" title="United States"]United States[/a].[sup id="cite_ref-World_Factbook_0-0" class="reference"][a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system#cite_note-World_Factbook-0" title=""][span][[/span]1[span]][/span][/a][/sup]

SD.  strange bedfellows

P.C.

Why ?  [img onclick="selecte('stern.gif');" alt=emoticon src="http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/blehnet/stern.gif" border=0][/DIV]

Sportsdude

Why?
I'll use the example of money.
How come Canadians have a 1 and 2 dollar coin and whenever the US tries something it fails? The US never just says "on this date, the paper bill is no more and you'll be using coins now, tough love."  

Yeah strange bedfellows, but not really, if it wasn't for those countries, the US would be out of business as the world cop. Although we've basically been replaced by the WTO now.  They effectively do what the US did back 'in the day' in offing democratic leaders etc. But we devised something better in the WTO, they get to control countries without having to kill anybody.  

|