The Ebony Lounge

Started by P.C., Mar 27 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

Why?
I'll use the example of money.
How come Canadians have a 1 and 2 dollar coin and whenever the US tries something it fails? The US never just says "on this date, the paper bill is no more and you'll be using coins now, tough love."

No.  The money issue is worlds apart from this issue....it's so far removed, that it isn't even in the same univers.  

In the lumber industry, the spin off effect would be monumental.  Blueprints, massively expensive equipment in the billions of dollars, that are calibrated for imperial.  Fixtures in plumbing, electrical, home power tools....industry power tools.  This list is endless....not to mention a ton and a half of stuff that I'm certain that I'm not aware of.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

so.
Strongest survive.
Darwin.
tough love.

lol

(I understand, for those industries it should be a gradual process of like 10yrs)

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I think there's a whole lot here that you don't understand.

Sportsdude

no I do understand, I just equate you know imperial units with America and taking the cue from the ruling party in Switzerland

lol

There was an article making the waves in the US this week about religion in the US.
The culture civil war has become so decisive that instead of going to the peaceful route of secularism that Western and Northern Europe did, we're going into a battle , you know all for one or none for all, throw the baby with the bath water out mentality. You'll either hate and despise it (not be accepting of it) or be the christian taliban.

I'm like that with the metric system (there's a few other militant metrics I know they all happen to come from the states as well), I know things take time to switch over, but at the same time, imperial units remind me of something I don't like and can't seem to shed.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I'm like that with the metric system (there's a few other militant metrics I know they all happen to come from the states as well), I know things take time to switch over, but at the same time, imperial units remind me of something I don't like and can't seem to shed.

I bet that shed was built using imperial measurements.  

van_guy

No.  The money issue is worlds apart from this issue....it's so far removed, that it isn't even in the same univers.   [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] In the lumber industry, the spin off effect would be monumental.  Blueprints, massively expensive equipment in the billions of dollars, that are calibrated for imperial.  Fixtures in plumbing, electrical, home power tools....industry power tools.  This list is endless....not to mention a ton and a half of stuff that I'm certain that I'm not aware of.

Agreed, probably people would be killed because a framer screwed up some specs and a house collapses.

Plus imagine all the strained cerebral cortexes of all the plumbers / carpenters etc...

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

P.C.

You know vg......I really have no knowledge of what it would involve.  But I have a pretty good idea that it branches off into more avenues than I can think of.  Not until I started thinking about it, did the amount of issues come flooding into my head.  It really would be HUGE.

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
You know vg......I really have no [strong style="font-style: italic;"]knowledge[/b] of what it would involve.  But I have a pretty good idea that it branches off into more avenues than I can think of.  Not until I started thinking about it, did the amount of issues come flooding into my head.  It really would be HUGE.

Well it's like you with your recipe - if you screwed up and put 2 X too much flour - the cake would suck - but if you put not enuf studs into a load bearing wall - well the first big windstorm the house falls down and grandma dies - that would be really bad.

P.C.

....and grandma would be really pissed off...and probably say with her last breath, I TOLD you so.

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
....and grandma would be really pissed off...and probably say with her last breath, I TOLD you so.

On the bright side maybe she's loaded and you will get a huge inheritance - viva la metric system (I am only kidding)

P.C.

Metric dollars.  Hmmm.  

On another note....may I get anybody something.  I'm having a white wine.

At the Aqua Riva restaurant in Van on the weekend, we had a bottle of wine from the Laughing Stock vineyards in Naramata.  Aside from the fact that the wine was delish...I loved the name of the winery.  

van_guy

On another note....may I get anybody something.  I'm having a white wine.

I just finished 2 - mine and LM's - she is fast asleep on the couch.

At the Aqua Riva restaurant in Van on the weekend, we had a bottle of wine from the Laughing Stock vineyards in Naramata.  Aside from the fact that the wine was delish...I loved the name of the winery.

I just had lunch today with an old boss - he has a cabin in naramata - I'll be sure to mention it to him.

P.C.

Really ?  I have a sister in Naramata.  She has vineyards and orchards as well, but is not in the wine industry.

Poor Lil Me.  I can only imagine she gives a TON of energy to her job.  Tell her we miss her. (well....I do for sure)[/DIV]

van_guy

P.C. wrote:
 [div]Really ?  I have a sister in Naramata.  She has vineyards and orchards as well, but is not in the wine industry.

Yeah - his name is Jay he lived in the cabin for a bunch of years.  Really interesting guy.  Skiid for the US olympic team, raced in the world cup yacht racing, hard core environmentalist (has dinner with David Suzuki etc...)

Poor Lil Me.  I can only imagine she gives a TON of energy to her job.  Tell her we miss her. (well....I do for sure)

Yes she does put a lot of effort into her work but she always falls asleep on the couch - that's just what she does.
[/div]

Russ

Morning! Sorry I missed you all in the Lounge last night.. we had dinner with the fossils then had a bit of a drive back. I then had a few beer and myself started napping on the couch. So I didnt even make it through the door. lol.  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

|