What did you last buy?

Started by Gopher, Apr 17 09 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Orik

Double yummy smells delicious

I bought a lotto 649 + BC 49 ticket & the extra on-line (basic mini dip)
I didn't win anything as normal.

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Lil Me

Antibiotics.

I have swollen lympth glands in the neck and a killer headache.

Sounds stupid, but it's an infected earlobe.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Orik

Sorry to Ear that Lil Me ( sorry ouldn't resist) (read t'at wit'a cockney accent A'rig't) I hope all is well soon. may you be on the quick mend and no risk of further troubles...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Orik

The Wendy's chicken burgers i bought last week at quest were 911 burgers. they were way to hot even when washed and boiled for 2 minutes, the things were to flaming hot. I enjoy a mild to medium heat for spicy foods but them things should have been sold with a warning label ie you may need a fire extinguisher to put out the heat..  or at the very least 1 litre of milk..this time i bought some milk  but there will be no need of it to put out any spicy hot foods...

From Quest
15 frozen a&w chicken burgers form quest for 16 dollars.
2 litres of milk
6 buns 2 kaiser 2 cheese 2 wheat
4 10 inch sub buns. 2 wheat 2 white
2 cans of apricots
1 bag of 8 Italian chocolate wafers
total 21.70

from the dollar store
1 litre of mayonnaise
 2 cans oceans yellow fin tuna
2 125 grams bags of Hawkins cheezies
total 10 dollars

my budget for food for the week 35 dollars total left 5 dollars and 30 cents

just enough pocket change left over to buy some veggies and fruit at the market . but i will do that tomorrow.

Orik

withdrew 150 dollars today

at the corner store
mini dip 4
bc  49 & 649 5.00
gum 2
pop 65 cents
lotto max 6
total

Payless  meats

5 chicken burgers for 5 dollars. I wont buy them again the  a&w Chicken Burgers from quest were more expensive but at least  they are made from real chicken breast unlike this repressed no name  stuff.
12 Jumbo Hot dogs each 1 = 3 normal dogs 6 dollars
1 kilo  of stir fry chicken breast strips 10 dollars excellent deal even though  I was only able to buy 1
2 lbs pork sausage 5 dollars
32 cheese  slices 5 dollars
1 dozen extra large eggs 3.75
3 lbs smoked bacon 9  dollars
500 grams roast beef 4 dollars
total = 47.75

Quest

1  220 square inch Grill for 25 dollars. I Was going to buy a large frying  pan to replace mine. But this grill was less expensive and a much  better deal. so wide I could cook up to 12 hamburgers at 1 time on it.  It takes up the whole counter, but I only use the counter when I am  cooking anyways this was such a bargain I had to buy it. Considering a  brand new 28 cm frypan costs from 20 to 50 dollars
[span id="ProductNameLabel" class="titlegray"]Starfrit Cast Multi-Pan -  25cm  19.99  [/span][span id="ProductNameLabel" class="titlegray"]T-fal Giant  Frypan - 34cm[/span] 34.99[span id="ProductNameLabel" class="titlegray"]  StepSavor  Griddle [/span][span id="ProductDisplayTable_ProductPriceLabel" class="title"]CAD  $49.99[/span]
[span id="ProductNameLabel" class="titlegray"][img style="width: 203px; height: 111px;" src="http://www.londondrugs.com/msib20/ProductImages/0062125_medium.jpg"]   [/span][img style="width: 158px; height: 158px;" src="http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/68/11/31/06/0068113106733_215X215.jpg"]
[span id="ProductNameLabel" class="titlegray"]The grill I got looks just like  the Step Savor (on the left) from london drugs mine Is made by GE[/span]  
and it looks a tiny bit like this one from Walmart (photo to the  right) but the Walmart model is 1/2 the size. priced at 34.87 US.

Well  All I need to do is buy a new spatula, preferably something that wont  scratch the GE to hell and see If they have any pam down at  Arm&Navy. I don't think I will need much for oils with one of these  griddles. I Cant Wait to try it.. call up the Guys time for a Bacon Egg  cheese burger fry up add some beers and a hockey game...

What a  amazing deal... on these 0 calorie flavoured waters
8 litres  strawberry Kiwi 2 dollars
8 litres black cherry 2 dollars
16  litres raspberry total cost 4 dollars
24 cans of diet Orange pop 4  dollars
20 piece box of those seashell chocolates I couldn't resist  they are the hazelnut ones 4.50
1 box of crackers 2 dollars  (absolutely horrid they taste disgusting) might be better in soup but  will probably end up in the trash bin if they still taste horrid. I hate  wasting good food but thats why we buy something new to give it a try.  this time  i made a error and realized I do not like the cocktail  crackers
1 lb limes 34 cents.
1 bag of pretzels 75 cents
1 500  gram box of biscoti 2 dollars ( tea or coffee biscuits)
24 of the  true lemon & true lime flavour packs (they are great in a cup of  tea) 1.20
hp sauce 2 dollars
Miscellaneous spices 1 dollar
bottle  deposit  4.40
bag fee  2.00
total cost

total  120.59

5.00 for the neighbour to carrie it all for me

re-adjusted  spending 125.59

my pocket change is exactly 24.41  I like it  when I actually come home with the right change.

that will cover  most of the month and a little extras

I Still need more fruits and  veggies.

need to get
2 kg pickles
5-lbs flour
15 lbs rice
5 to 10 cans kidney beans
5 to 10 cans chick peas
large ranch dressing
3 lbs sugar
1 litre honey
 1 500 gram strawberry jam
1 kg peanut butter
Family Sized Raisin Bran

tomorrow after pay. pay the rent and bills for march then pick up the rest of the needed items, I hate shopping

purelife

I sold my perfume on Craigslist for $25 and in return, I purchased a Lagostina deep dish saute pan from Costco.  LOVE my pan.  I really needed one that was non-stick.  My other frying pans suck.  

Also got baby a jolly jumper.  He loves jumping in it.  It hangs on our door frame.

Parmesan cheese is so expensive!  I needed one wedge for a recipe tomorrow and it was $5, just for a small wedge!!  

Orik

I agree Purelife Parmesan is way to expensive, but it is a needed item in some dishes.

today a donut and coffee at Tim Hortons

P.C.

I'm not a fan of non-stick pans at all.  Give me stainless or nothing.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Oranges, Apples, Salmon, Carrots, Ham, Chocolate - and I forgot to get any bread!
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Orik

I have a 8 CM stainless one PC I love it, anice thick base. good and sturdy now that it is burnt in and been used a few dozen times it is lost it's sweet shine but when u need to cook just a couple of small items ie 2 eggs or 4 sausages or a single hamburger patty it is the bomb. Add a bit of olive or other vegetable oil one likes to the pan use a low heat to warm the pan then up to high for a few seconds then back off the heat everything fries right.
'
the trick is to warm the pan and oil to a nice temp add ones meat to sear it on both sides then fry it at a medium to low heat to perfection... similar to grilling sear it then lower the heat for the full cook

The only problem I have with Stainless frying pans is the general cost of a good one, loads of cheap ones around but not worth it to buy a cheap one that will last 1 to 2 years at most. and maybe even less if it warps or the handle falls apart or like I had happen once the pan literally cracked. How I managed to do that, I will never really know. Probably a flaw in the product, which is my best guess. I added a bit of cold water to a fry up, to help steam my veggies and pop the pan cracked...

Worst of all when it comes to anything stainless is the cleaning of them, they are a nightmare if you burn anything in them. I am a fair cook. but even I burn things at times, but thankfully unlike a nonstick a good stainless steel pot or pan can be cleaned and recovered for reuse. Burn something baad enough in stainless aluminum or a nonstick pan and they can be considered a write off.

that 8 CM frying pan costs over 50 dollars (I got it for free) , the 28 cm I wanted to buy costs close to 100. but you do get what you pay for. but my money is not much so when it comes to the kitchen I can not afford extravagance but I still want quality, this is a set If it can be found locally, I am wanting to get to replace my kitchen and it is in serious need of being replaced (except that small frying pan)
[a href="http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/index.asp?pageid=231&upc=70950046076"]
For a well known name in cooking this 10 piece set is fair priced at 180 USD[/a]

if any one knows of a good set on sale in the local vancouver area. post the information please.

I am mid thoughts on consider a cheap 30 dollar set at London drugs as a emergency tide me over till I can afford to replace my cookware with a good set of tools. unless some one else knows of better at reasonable prices. 200 is to much right now =( hell even 100 is. but i need a good stock pot a beter large frying pan to go with my good small one. a decent sauce pan and a good dutch oven plus a nice stewing pot would be a god send. sighs lets not forget the broiler pans and other needed items for baking.. damn... the whole kitchen needs trashing the kitchen counter has to be replaced serious need for a small apartment sized deep freezer.

It is better to buy in bulk then precook and freeze some meals for a month or two, Then when you have need you can just take out and defrost (reheat in a microwave if to impatient to wait over night). this way one is less likely to buy premade meals or junk food. ... This kitchen has need of a new oven prefferably one with working temerature gauges. a window i can actually look through to check the condition of a roasting chicken with out opening the door.... love to take out the linolium and replace it with some thing thaty has less holes in it too.,

all things that need to be fixed. some I have to pay for the rest is the landlords responisbility. but cost is a issue these days.. grabs belt tightens it a notch. at least I have enough hours for EI just have to be patient on the first check.

ahh well i am rambling and no one wants to read 5 paragraphs of my rambling LOL honestly how many read all of what i write ?

P.C.

I love my Stainless too Orik.  Mine are about 10 years old, and look as shiny and new as if I bought them yesterday.  The trick is to never use an abrasive cleaning pad on them.  I only use the powdered stainless cleaner, which works on the toughest mess.

As for non-stick...a stainless pan is as non-stick as you can get, providing you are putting food into a properly preheated pan.  Putting food into a cool or warm pan is what causes sticking.

If your pans have taken on a blueish hue from burning, you can get rid of it by bringing flat CocaCola to a boil in it.  Shiny as new. [img border=0 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif"]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Orik

Thank you PC I will try that trick as soon as possible. Do you think the Presidents Choice generic cola is going to work as good as coke and does it have to be flat first ?...cause I've  got a bottle in the fridge right now. ? but if it doesn't matter then their's no need to let it go flat first. I hate that blueish look to my stainless. now if only there was a way to make the copper base looks like new.

the nice thing is if i buy some ginger and lemon to cut up and add to that cola for the last 3 minutes of it being on a simmering boil. you can make a very delicious drink. once you let it get cold that is, i am not a fan of it hot unless I am sick...

but if you add a bit of honey to that coke ginger and lemon when it is hot, you get a soothing homemade cold relief... the ginger, honey, lemon and coke are so nice on the sore throat and it helps clear the sinuses some. I learned of that trick form a chinese guy at work. blew my mind how well it did work and how good it tasted hot... I had expected it to be rather nasty. I mean who ever heard of drinking Hot Coca Cola or hot DR Pepper for that matter. though some guys swear buy the stuff.  

purelife

If I had the money, I would be buying stainless steel pots/pans and cast iron.  I have my eye on the paderno set from costco.  I think it's a good brand.  

Oh well....

purchased pack of onesies from Costco.  this babe is growing like a weed!!

Orik

I hear you purelife... they grow like weeds trouble is they wont become worth while till about 14 then they can start contributing to the family finances. but think of all the joy and harrow as they grow up... the pride you will have when they have that first successful potty and the first horror the first time he glues his dirty nappy to the wall... well anyways enjoy it... I hear it does get better and worse and then better....

did you have any luck finding the leak ?

Lil Me

purelife wrote:
purchased pack of onesies from Costco.  this babe is growing like a weed!!
--

Awesome!  Glad to hear he's healthy and strong.  

I'm not positive that you need a whole set of pots, purelife.  I know that I'm no gourmet cook, but I only use about 3 pots on a regular basis: frying pan, pasta pot, med sized saucepan.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|